RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed an order for a 2018 RRS HSE back in late February/early March from Land Rover San Jose (CA). This was the second RRS I was buying from them in 3 years as I bought a 2016 from them as well.

I modified the order 3 days before the cutoff date to add a package, but between the salesperson and the inventory manager something went wrong. They not only didn't add the package I wanted to add, but they removed two of the things that were on my order. The salesman was hard to get ahold of, uncommunicative, and generally a terrible salesperson throughout the entire process, which is why I didn't find out my order was wrong until the vehicle was on a ship about a week from being delivered.

I'm definitely annoyed they didn't add a package that can only be installed at the factory, but what really annoyed me is that they told me I'd have to pay full retail (above the factory option price) for the two parts they removed. I reached out to the GM to see if they could help and his response was, "We can order you a new vehicle and it'll be here in October." I expected him to honor the factory price for the two options they removed and maybe offer me a discount or throw something in to makeup for the package that I could no longer have. Nope.

I asked them to refund me my deposit and now I'm back on the market annoyed that I waited 3 months for them to order the wrong vehicle and do nothing to make it right.

All that being said, I'm now trying to find a dealer that provides actual customer service and orders the right vehicle when you're trying to give them close to $100k. Any recommendations in Northern California?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that I reached out to Land Rover Redwood City and they said the best they can do is MSRP, which seems crazy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't know how they are with the vehicles themselves, but LR Rocklin has great prices on accessories and great customer service for the several online orders I've placed with them. FWIW.

·
Administrator
27,800 Posts
I forgot to mention that I reached out to Land Rover Redwood City and they said the best they can do is MSRP, which seems crazy.
Why is paying full price for a popular vehicle crazy? At least they aren't charging a $10k market adjustment like many LR dealers. Yea you had a poor experience that boils down mistakes made and the dealer is not about to take a loss on the vehicle. He knows they can easily sell it at full price. Does it suck? Yup. Move on and find an example speced how you wanted your order. Its out there somewhere. A broker will be happy to work with you to find it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's not a popular vehicle in my area. The majority of the 2018s on their lot have been sitting there for a couple of months. And now they have an extra one spec'd very specifically that will probably be hard to move too.

I didn't ask them to take a loss. My initial offer to them was to honor the factory price for the options they removed. They would still be making thousands on the sale and would have had a repeat customer in the future.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,421 Posts
I bought my RRS from SF British Motors. They were honest and fair. I made a change on the order before the final date and they sent me a confirmation of the change and an order summary. MSRP

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My guess is you're new to JLR. While your experience has definitely sucked, I would not expect any different from pricing standpoint no matter where you go. Most dealers charge over MSRP for to RR and RRS models and you'd be hard pressed to get a discount as a first time customer. I'd say 90% of us have paid MSRP or higher while others got in on some special deal to get upto $3K off at one point or another. LR is nothing like MB or BMW where you can beat the price down to "dealer invoice" or anything like that. In fact, when the new body model came out, most dealers were charging upto $10k over MSRP. And before you assume we're all suckers, I got $12k off MSRP for my wife's E-class.

And when you say: "The majority of the 2018s on their lot have been sitting there for a couple of months." I really have to raise my eyebrow cause in CA it's always been reserved on allocation, so any car you see on the lot likely already has a name on it and is ready to be picked up. Dealers just don't get these things in hundreds, they get them a dozen or so at a time, and most if not all are already spoken for.

Not saying that your dealer doesn't suck, just trying to help you set realistic expectation on pricing.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts
While I don't have heaps of experience w/ this dealership yet, but I had a very positive experience with Land Rover Monterey (specifically Julian). He was transparent about margins (and as @trez63 said, they're not the same as I'd been used to w/ ze Germans).

I'd give them a holler and see if they can earn your business. It's worth the drive, but I'd bet you wouldn't need to go down there unnecessarily.

Plus, if you work with Julian, you get the added perk of having a salesman with a British accent.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My guess is you're new to JLR. While your experience has definitely sucked, I would not expect any different from pricing standpoint no matter where you go. Most dealers charge over MSRP for to RR and RRS models and you'd be hard pressed to get a discount as a first time customer. I'd say 90% of us have paid MSRP or higher while others got in on some special deal to get upto $3K off at one point or another. LR is nothing like MB or BMW where you can beat the price down to "dealer invoice" or anything like that. In fact, when the new body model came out, most dealers were charging upto $10k over MSRP. And before you assume we're all suckers, I got $12k off MSRP for my wife's E-class.

And when you say: "The majority of the 2018s on their lot have been sitting there for a couple of months." I really have to raise my eyebrow cause in CA it's always been reserved on allocation, so any car you see on the lot likely already has a name on it and is ready to be picked up. Dealers just don't get these things in hundreds, they get them a dozen or so at a time, and most if not all are already spoken for.

Not saying that your dealer doesn't suck, just trying to help you set realistic expectation on pricing.
As I mentioned in my original post, this is the second RRS I (would) have bought this from dealer in 2 years. I got a great deal on the first one, but I'm not saying I expect thousands off MSRP.

Feel free to check the dealer's inventory. I've been watching it for 2 straight months.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
297 Posts
It's not a popular vehicle in my area. The majority of the 2018s on their lot have been sitting there for a couple of months. And now they have an extra one spec'd very specifically that will probably be hard to move too.

I didn't ask them to take a loss. My initial offer to them was to honor the factory price for the options they removed. They would still be making thousands on the sale and would have had a repeat customer in the future.
I had a huge dilemma for a MY16 that I ordered. I ended up ordering the extended leather package in time, but I can promise you if it came with the base leather (dash and window sills were black and not tan like with MY15) I wouldn’t have taken the car. That being said my dealer was really easy to work with. I can understand the frustration of radio silence l.

I have to agree. If you asked them to change before the change date they should have got it right or adjusted accordingly.
Don’t let this bad experience taint your view of the RRS. I promise, you’ll love it when you get it. All the best on your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why is paying full price for a popular vehicle crazy? At least they aren't charging a $10k market adjustment like many LR dealers. Yea you had a poor experience that boils down mistakes made and the dealer is not about to take a loss on the vehicle. He knows they can easily sell it at full price. Does it suck? Yup. Move on and find an example speced how you wanted your order. Its out there somewhere. A broker will be happy to work with you to find it.
Agreed, MSRP seems to be the standard. I was surprised I got $500 off my RR SC ... Def not complaining. Bought from Mission Viejo and Hornburg, Hornburg has decent service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the bay, Cole, deal with J. Wang.
In SoCal, Hornburg, deal with Kelvin.
I've done multiple deals with each, all great, no BS.
Tell them Chris from Mill Valley sent you. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jersey here and got 4300 off MSRP on my second rover but first since 2008 and at a new dealership. Frankly I complained and tried to get more but from the sounds of it, it seems the dealer really wasn't BS'ing when he said they rarely discount this car this much.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
293 Posts
Jersey here and got 4300 off MSRP on my second rover but first since 2008 and at a new dealership. Frankly I complained and tried to get more but from the sounds of it, it seems the dealer really wasn't BS'ing when he said they rarely discount this car this much.
You did great. Was it an HSE Diesel? those are the only ones getting that kind of discount in SoCal that i've seen.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Yeah, current model year is hardly ever discounted.
And then just last weekend I saw an almost fully loaded '17 SCV8 on the lot, with the original sticker of $126k now listed for $106k. If someone doesn't care for the latest tech, incredible deals can be scored.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
293 Posts
awesome color combo, I love the Pimento interior

1 - 20 of 23 Posts