RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Oh and worst part.... every single day I drive on that highway to the hospital and everyday I see the guard rail all mangled on the side of the road and it reminds of my stupidity..... a never ending lesson =T

Frisco TX, thanks so much man thats actually a great resource. I am calling them now and leaving messages for them. I really appreciate your help. I keep you updated to what I hear back. You all have done so much, thanks again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I might recommend putting it up on ebay with a reserve above $7k? That way you could get more, and have nothing to lose but time.

Some body shop owner that is having a slow month may outbid copart and fix it, especially with a clean title.

Sorry to hear about your loss, and glad you are okay.

Jason

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
75 Posts
Wow EASY Buddy no need to get mad man everyone is here to help no need to get upset. Aside from you who actually make stuff thats pretty rare to find it seems. If you notice I had suggested parting it out as well, I just don't want to see this guy get ripped off which I feel the body shop is trying to do. obviously a shop can very easily rebuild that rig and make a nice profit on it its in nice shape...And with a person like myself who has also made things and used to work in a body shop to me that is just panels that get removed and replaced with new panels slight frame pulling and so on...Its like when I look at gutting a house its 4 walls buddy thats all everything can get replaced. My point is everyone is acting as if it was a complete roll over and smacked into a wall at 150 mph.....sooo take it easy and Peace and hair grease my brother its all good man

Hmmm, really? Maybe look through some of my BUILD threads, where I actually make stuff, with my hands and everything! Some of us do indeed get dirty. Some of us do indeed have the shop and the tools inside it to make/fix/repair stuff.
Although, by the sounds of it, the OP does not. That is why I suggested he unload the rig, or part it out. Not to mention the fact that with the "frame" the RRS has, compared to say a P38, it is a totally different ballgame when it comes to accident repairs.
As said already, there is a reason why an insurance company would probably total the rig if they were involved at this point. Saying there is no "frame" damage from our couches and arm chairs is ridiculous. We can't see under the rig, cannot inspect and look for any cracked paint under it, measure it, and so on. Just because a rig is supposedly "sturdy", that means absolutely nothing when it comes to an accident that occurred at highway speeds like this one did.
I stick to my original statement, part it out or unload it, if a second opinion nets the OP nothing better in the estimate department.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Hair grease? You haven't seen my totally bald head I guess....:lol:
I for one am not in the "sell it no matter what" club, like many others are I guess. But with the OP's seemingly (lack of) experience, it seems the logical way to go.
Would I just unload it? probably not. Saying that though, our 98 P38 has full coverage, so....;-)
Would be a good candidate for a buy back though IMHO. Be nice to see a RRS made into a true wheeling rig:wink:

Martin

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ahaha I was giving you some credit brother maybe the hair grease would bring it back...Glad I made you laugh`)
yeah im not in that club either. That rig would be a great canidate for a true wheeling rig. I would love to see that lights, racks and all:thumb:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
808 Posts
Ok.

I've looked at all the pictures. I'm extremely suspicious that the body shop is inflating the numbers in an effort to compel you to sell it in this condition. I see no out-of-line body panels (though it's possible that the passenger door damage does affect the rocker panel more severely than appearances indicate), but - even there - the passenger door still aligns with the front fender and rear passenger door. Obviously, pictures aren't comparable to an actual in-person analysis, but my (experienced) gut tells me that this is mostly cosmetic damage. Reinforcing that gut feeling is the fact that those guard rails are built to absorb impact energy; not impart it to vehicles.

I'm thinking that this isn't 23K in damages - particularly if you can put in you own legwork and source salvage parts from yards. I think that if you got this truck driveable, some bids to fix this damage would come in as low as 13.5-15K - and you could knock off thousands from that number if you could find body panels yourself.

The body shop's comment about the RRS not being LEGALLY driveable without a front bumper is true, but they cannot stop you from driving off the lot without one (it's your truck, and you can take the heat if need be). I'd bet that no cop could hear your story and give you a ticket for DOT non-compliance in this case.

I would put on a spare, and get some estimates. All may not be lost.

Good luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hey, just an update.... I sold the car on craigslist for 11,000... I listed it for 13k the guy offered 11 so I went with it. He picked it up today, and i'd say all in all... i am more depressed today than I was the day of the accident :-|. I really do appreciate everyones input, help, suggestions, and camaraderie over the past... nearly 5 years.
Quick question, seeing as I know nothing about anything other than medicine.... I signed the title over to the guy, who overall seemed like a really nice guy. I forgot to take off my registration and insurance off the windshield, that should be ok right? And I signed a bill of sale stating that the car was sold as is and it had the vin number on it and what not... but I didn't get a copy... the tow truck was there to take the car and I forgot to at least take a picture with my phone... no big deal right? He gave me all cash.

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone... I don't feel its appropriate for me to get another sport seeing as this was a costly mistake.... but hopefully one day i'll be back.

This sums up how I feel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmkXd3heuFk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to hear it man as far as the reg and other things you should be ok as long as you have the plates which you will need to turn in before you can cancel the insurance. The bill of sale see if you can get the guy to atleast fax you a copy of it so you have for records. Maybe post up the Vin so guys looking for rovers know to maybe stay away from that one no offense but dont want any shady dealers pulling the wool over fellow owners eyes or furture ones.

·
Premium Member
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
134 Posts
Nooro-
Glad to hear it at least 'somewhat' worked out for you and you were able to get $11k for it (better than the $7k that COPARTS was offering). I always like to keep a copy of the signed Bill of Sale, just for good measure, but I don't think you'll have any issues without it, and as mentioned, you could always ask the guy to Fax you a copy of it which shouldn't be an issue for him if he was a good guy.

On the more important side of things, try your best to make the best of it (you weren't hurt) and see what you can find to replace it. You got the $11k from the sale, add to that the money that you would have had to put into it for repairs and I'm sure you could find something nice to replace it with.

OR, take the $11k and put it down on a new one (maybe an '11 that a dealer is discounting to move).

Just some ideas...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I actually just bought a Subaru Forester Turbo to replace my Range Rover Sport Supercharged for exactly $11k.

Might be a decent replacement vehicle for you. If you're a modder, everything from an STi bolts onto the car. Mine makes over 300awhp, and has awesome brakes and suspension. AWD (buy some winter tires!), fun to drive, and almost as much room as a RR. Twice the gas milage too :)

Cheers,
Jason

·
Registered
335 Posts
wait what happd to your RRS SC? accident?

I actually just bought a Subaru Forester Turbo to replace my Range Rover Sport Supercharged for exactly $11k.

Might be a decent replacement vehicle for you. If you're a modder, everything from an STi bolts onto the car. Mine makes over 300awhp, and has awesome brakes and suspension. AWD (buy some winter tires!), fun to drive, and almost as much room as a RR. Twice the gas milage too :)

Cheers,
Jason

·
Registered
335 Posts
Also nooro..i know you are down and upset but if you are able to afford another RRS or luxury car without flinching or drastic changes to your life I think you should do it. sure you made a mistake but you learned and you need to look at it as you had that range rover and that could be a legit reason as to why you didn't get hurt or die. So why not put your self in another higher end safer car (if you can afford it). I think you owe it to your self to be safe at least even though you made that mistake. You can get a luxury suv (BMW/RRS/Mercedes..etc.) used for a decent price. good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
128 Posts
wait what happd to your RRS SC? accident?
No, just selling it. I'm detailing it this weekend and listing it here next week.

I moved to 41 acres a few months ago, and need to step up to a full sized truck to move supplies - plywood, concrete, etc. The Subaru is a much better DD for me with my new commute (1500' hill climb up a tight windy 2-lane road).

41 - 54 of 54 Posts