RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Yeah, I didn't want to say it but after looking at those pictures I was afraid this may be the inevitable conclusion. If the frame is damaged the car may never drive the same again, even if the body shop does this and eBay does that... It's your call but in your shoes I'd cut my losses now, turn her in for peanuts and move on to something else - with full insurance coverage this time.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
Honestly, this is one of the saddest stories (without an injury) I have ever read on any "motor" forum....not gonna gig you for the insurance decison as I am sure you are kicking your own arse on the hour, every hour. I'm assuimg that without collision you don't owe anything on the rig so at least you don't have that (loan balance) hanging over your head.

Good luck moving forward :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, I don't owe anything on the car, thankfully. And I am grateful I wasn't hurt, and this definitely could have been worse. But boy is it an expensive lesson :-/ I feel like crap, every hour on the hour. Unfortunately the hassle that follows is doubly as devastating... Not sure how long i'll have this rental for. I did get the insurance coverage on the rental.

I called geico and they said they would send an adjuster out just to give me an estimate. Who know maybe i'll get lucky and this auto body shop is hopefully trying to screw me and its actually much less? I also may try and drive/push/carry the car down about 2 blocks to another auto body shop to get a 2nd opinion. Ideally i'll try to get that spare on and see what happens, but I won't be able to do that till Monday.

I called the local LR dealer and they suggested a scrap yard, I am going to give them a call as well. All in all looks like I might see myself in a used chevy equinox or something next.... can't really justify anything to extravagant, seeing as I feel I am completely at fault. :-/

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you again to everyone for all your input and help now and over the years.

·
Premium Member
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
134 Posts
I would never attempt to try and repair a vehicle like this, meaning there are just too many little things that could come up that would drive your repair costs even higher. I would see what they may offer you from the dealership 'as-is' and obviously you can try and negotiate to get as much as possible, but your going to need to do some figuring and be realistic about what they offer, along with the cost to repair etc...

If that doesn't pan out, see about parting it out and what you might be able to get for every little thing you can salvage from it. Another option would be to list it as-is on eBay or Craigslist and see what offers you get. Won't really cost you much if anything to do this and I've seen similar auction sales like this that look to bring in an 'ok' dollar amount for a salvaged vehicle.

But as others have mentioned, you walked away from it! Thats what you need to keep in mind as tough as this is going to be.

From one car guy to another, sorry for your loss and good luck with finding the 'right' solution!

PS. The attached picture is of my daughters mini-van that we were hit from behind in. This van was mint, and they totaled it!

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
hey i am not able to see where the pictures of your damaged RRS. Nvm i found them.

man those look pretty bad, so sorrry this happened to you. i know you learned your lesson, and i truly wish you the best of luck with the next car, and hope you will be able to get back into a RRS later down the road when the time is right! sorry again bro and best of luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm in long island also wish you were closer so i could help a forum member out and give you some better advice I know of a few body shops and to me I feel like that guy is padding the numbers. I used to work at a body shop I know how they work. Although the damage is very extensive I go back to what he said before that he could sell it for you. And honestly alot of cars are worth more in parts you could get some nice money if you parted that whole truck out if you had the space I would go that route. Think about it that's how salvage yards make there money buying clips like that and cashing in on the parts. I need a passenger side fog light interested in selling? There I'm your first customer

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
http://www.copart.com
This is where the insurance company sent my daughters absolutely mint mini-van to after they called it 'totaled'. From what I understand, they are one of, if not the largest salvage companies in the country and are spread across the country. Possibly there is an option for you here.

Just trying to help and think of possible options for you here, so that you come out as best as possible.

Did a quick search for you to give you some ideas. If anything maybe it will help if they are going to make an offer to buy yours: http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?criteriaType=detailedSearch&returnPage=home&searchType=HOME&filterBaseLabel=Automobile+LAND+ROVER&filterCode=&freshRequired=true&oSearchByType=Y&vehicleType=V&startYear=2006&endYear=2008&make=LAND&model=RANGEROVER&titleGroupCode=&location=facility&stateFacility=*&zipPostalCode=&mileageRange=99999

·
Registered
75 Posts
http://www.copart.com
This is where the insurance company sent my daughters absolutely mint mini-van to after they called it 'totaled'. From what I understand, they are one of, if not the largest salvage companies in the country and are spread across the country. Possibly there is an option for you here.

Just trying to help and think of possible options for you here, so that you come out as best as possible.

Did a quick search for you to give you some ideas. If anything maybe it will help if they are going to make an offer to buy yours: http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?criteriaType=detailedSearch&returnPage=home&searchType=HOME&filterBaseLabel=Automobile+LAND+ROVER&filterCode=&freshRequired=true&oSearchByType=Y&vehicleType=V&startYear=2006&endYear=2008&make=LAND&model=RANGEROVER&titleGroupCode=&location=facility&stateFacility=*&zipPostalCode=&mileageRange=99999

I know COPART as well those guys are HUGE but check out what the bids are going for as far as those Rovers, alot of money you could get back because lets be honest the tranny used is alot the motor is alot the interior it all adds up. I think you need to be a dealer in order to put cars on there though I would imagine they wouldnt offer you much for the truck but its worth a shot...Good Idea RRS007

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I really want to thank everyone for your help and support, its been tough to say the lease. I called COPART, unfortunately they don't have a license to purchase vehicles in the state of Michigan. I sent them all my info including the pictures and they are going to call me back with a quote. They said they might have to take the car to Ohio in order to purchase it, but I don't see how thats a big deal if they pay for the towing. Thank you again to everyone for your help, i'll keep you updated as this all progresses.

I think i'll know a lot more tomorrow, I am going to try to put the spare on and drive it a block and a half to another auto body shop to get a 2nd opinion. I know you guys say don't fix the car up bc of all the damage and potential for future issues, but **** do I miss my car =T.

Thanks again.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
FIX THE CAR !!! that's my vote
With unibody/frame damage?
Not to mean anything bad to the OP, but from the sounds of it, he does not have the ability to fix it himself. To pay someone to do ALL the work would be cost prohibitive IMHO. That and never knowing how the body/frame handled the stress of the wreck etc, would make it a parts rig to those of us with experience with such things.
There is a reason why the insurance company would write it off without much doubt, had that been the case. Seeing as the insurance companies hardly like throwing money away, that should tell you something.....

OP, sorry to hear about it, but the best 2 options are to part it out yourself if you have the room, knowledge and tools etc, or unload it as is and learn the lesson.

Martin

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I don't know if they would ever entertain such a thing, but maybe you could try and work some kind of deal out with COPART, in where they would take your vehicle and you could purchase one from them thats in nice shape for a decent price.

Just a thought...

I really want to thank everyone for your help and support, its been tough to say the lease. I called COPART, unfortunately they don't have a license to purchase vehicles in the state of Michigan. I sent them all my info including the pictures and they are going to call me back with a quote. They said they might have to take the car to Ohio in order to purchase it, but I don't see how thats a big deal if they pay for the towing. Thank you again to everyone for your help, i'll keep you updated as this all progresses.

I think i'll know a lot more tomorrow, I am going to try to put the spare on and drive it a block and a half to another auto body shop to get a 2nd opinion. I know you guys say don't fix the car up bc of all the damage and potential for future issues, but **** do I miss my car =T.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
With unibody/frame damage?
Not to mean anything bad to the OP, but from the sounds of it, he does not have the ability to fix it himself. To pay someone to do ALL the work would be cost prohibitive IMHO. That and never knowing how the body/frame handled the stress of the wreck etc, would make it a parts rig to those of us with experience with such things.
There is a reason why the insurance company would write it off without much doubt, had that been the case. Seeing as the insurance companies hardly like throwing money away, that should tell you something.....

OP, sorry to hear about it, but the best 2 options are to part it out yourself if you have the room, knowledge and tools etc, or unload it as is and learn the lesson.

Martin
I hear you on this But the body guy was saying there MAY be frame damage I mean he hit a guard rail the Hood did not pop up the fender seem straight and these are very sturdy trucks. If it was a head on collision rear end etc or a roll over of course forget fixing it. ANYWAYS whatever no point even discussing it you guys dont seem to be into fixing trucks on here with damage I feel the general census is get rid of it when damage is done Good luck hope everything works out for the best

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
you guys dont seem to be into fixing trucks on here with damage I feel the general census is get rid of it when damage is done Good luck hope everything works out for the best
Hmmm, really? Maybe look through some of my BUILD threads, where I actually make stuff, with my hands and everything! Some of us do indeed get dirty. Some of us do indeed have the shop and the tools inside it to make/fix/repair stuff.
Although, by the sounds of it, the OP does not. That is why I suggested he unload the rig, or part it out. Not to mention the fact that with the "frame" the RRS has, compared to say a P38, it is a totally different ballgame when it comes to accident repairs.
As said already, there is a reason why an insurance company would probably total the rig if they were involved at this point. Saying there is no "frame" damage from our couches and arm chairs is ridiculous. We can't see under the rig, cannot inspect and look for any cracked paint under it, measure it, and so on. Just because a rig is supposedly "sturdy", that means absolutely nothing when it comes to an accident that occurred at highway speeds like this one did.
I stick to my original statement, part it out or unload it, if a second opinion nets the OP nothing better in the estimate department.

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
All in all looks like I might see myself in a used chevy equinox or something next.... can't really justify anything to extravagant, seeing as I feel I am completely at fault. :-/
I know I think about cars differently than most people, but that would be a disservice to the spirit of your old Sport. She gave her life to save yours. :| Only one way to honor her, get another and do it up right. Glad you're ok Nooro.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Nooro - sorry to see this happen to you. Glad you are ok. Even though you hit the guard rail up head on, the frame acts like an accordian to abosrob the impact, so it could be bent further down from the impact point, where a door or fender looks dented and won't close right. It could be pulled straight at the right shop, that sometimes pulls the dent out a bit too. There used to be a link on the main rangerovers.net site for RR salvage locations, which I can't locate now , I know 1 is in the Dallas area and the other in Oklahoma city. Willing to help you source these if needed (pro bono)

Good Luck ...

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
36 Posts
Nooro, I am curious as to any more details about your accident. Did you have summer tires on? Whether you did or not, did it happen because you had the right side tires go over the packed snow (which sits in between the lanes) and it started drifting? Was your stability control light flickering the whole time during the spin out?

Water under the bridge yes, but I hope you had at the very least some all season tires on those 22's as a Michigan resident ...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hey guys, wow I am seriously taken a back as to how helpful and supportive everyone has been, seriously to everyone, thank you. An update on COPARTS, they offered me 7k and are looking to see what is needed for them to tow the car to Ohio.

As far as the accident. It had recently snowed roughly 2 inches, but had stopped snowing once I was on the road. The highway had not been salted and there was still snow on the lanes. The highway went from 2 to 3 lanes at one point at which point the third lane definitely had more snow on it compared to the first two, since the first 2 were being traveled more by cars; though the third still had a few cars on it down the highway that I could see. My own fault here, being overly ambitious and overly confident in my car and tires from the 2 foot DC storm we had a couple years back when my car was in all honesty like a snow mobile, it was AMAZING, I was on the third lane no problem.... Until out of no where I started to slide the front twisted to the right and I was perpendicular to the highway slowly sliding from the left lane to the right lane, where I almost hit someone in the far right lane.... Did not notice any lights flashing, I tried to turn my car in the opposite direction that didn't work and I tried to turn in in the direction of the slide that didn't work either.... Not sure how but I started to drift back left went through the guard rail and into the grass which was angled down and then back up. The slide seemed in retrospect to be SOOO SLOW and I felt I had so much time, the thing I did not do and maybe wish I had?? was SLAM on my brakes??? Maybe hit my emergency/parking break?? Hill decent?? anything... granted stopping in the middle of the highway may have been worse than going through the guardrail, at this point i'm always thinking about what I could have done differently. Such as if only I had kept drifting right I wouldn't have hit the guard rail.... what ifs....

My tires are 22inch toyo proxes ST? - they were amazing in that snow in DC couple of years back. Granted that was roughly 20k miles ago? and my tires have been much for the wear... I have had my car for 5 years roughly 40k miles and only have changed 1 tire (put on the toyo's when I first got the car).

My take... it was a mix of lack of tread, my reckless (40mph) speed on the snowy road, but I think I got into my trouble because the reason the guard rail had started when it did was because the highway was just turning into an overpass type of deal and the guard rails are some feeble attempt to stop someone from hitting the pillar further down the highway. And therefore "bridge may ice" may take into effect and the snow was extra icy at that point??

Thanks again to everyone, I'll keep you updated.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts