RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone... Awful day for me... was driving to the hospital in the snow... ~40mph in the snow on the highway.... I didn't change lanes or move the car aggressively... the car started to slide from the left lane to the right lane thank god i didn't hit anyone... I tried to move the steering wheel, nothing worked it then slid back to the left and I went through a guard rail and into the grass between the east and west bound highway...

Had my seatbelt on, I am fine. Airbag deployed... hit me in the hand, that probably hurts the most.

Of course I am an idiot and only have liability, therefore no damage to my car is covered by insurance :(.... windshield has a crack in it... front end is totally caved in, missing 1 headlight, wires hanging down to the ground...

AND OF COURSE TODAY WAS THE DAY I FORGOT MY CELL PHONE AT HOME. I flagged a few people down who helped me call the police, they were very nice. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

This is my first accident ever, I had the tow truck driver take me to a body shop close to where I live, Suburban Chevrolet... someone suggested it and what better do I know? I did start the car and drive it a little... however, one of my tires is flat.... Here's where I get railed....

I have 22's with stormers, pretty sure I can't put my 20" spare even though I do have the original lug nuts..... So I will need a new tire, maybe a fixed new rim. Just to be remotely drivable... what cost am I looking at here, these are the big things I know I need....

Airbag/sterring wheel? - someone said $1500??
Front Bumper
1 Headlight at least
New windshield?? I have the cold climate package, maybe I can get a regular windshield, not sure what the cost difference is.
the side is all torn up, back bumper is also messed up
All electrical crap in the front
Everything I don't see :(

I appreciate anyones help... hard part is, I left it at this auto body shop, they are going to give me an estimate... I called a few other auto body shops just to get an idea, but they can't do squat without looking at the car.... so I am kind of **** out of luck here....

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
There is no way anyone can possibly offer an estimate online. Even with pics you have no idea what kind of hidden damages are lurking as far as wiring, sensors, suspension components, supports etc.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Doc, Really sorry to hear about this...BUT
Why no collision??? Even if you have a high deductible its better than this. My rule of thumb is if the car is worth more than the insurance premiums that you would make as long as you plan to own it--then get collision. i.e. if you pay 2000/yr and plan to keep the car for 3 yrs =6000+1000 deductible =7000 and the car is worth 15,000 its a no brainer.

In addition to where the car is now, call yer LR dealer and ask which shop they use, and have that shop take a look. Also, talk w your liability coverage company and have them make a recommendation as well. The more quotes you get the better.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks goosey, if nothing else this is definitely a learning situation. I completely agree with you regarding collision.... I just thought I was too good (no accidents ever - 10+ years)...

I appreciate the input, thanks man.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I have 22's with stormers, pretty sure I can't put my 20" spare even though I do have the original lug nuts.....
What size tires on those 22s? And if the spare is the OEM one, I doubt it's a 20". It's either a full-size 19" with a 255/50 tire, or a compact donut. Check and see, all that matters is the overall circumference of the 22s matching - or being real close to - your available spare to be able to safely drive it to a body shop.

·
Registered
335 Posts
nooro...

so sorry to hear about the accident! to be frank you are at least looking at over 5k damage. could be closer to 10k range. but i hope not! thats tough having to pay that outta your pocket. i guess its a learning experience. try to get some pics up. goodluck!

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
910 Posts
thanks goosey, if nothing else this is definitely a learning situation. I completely agree with you regarding collision.... I just thought I was too good (no accidents ever - 10+ years)...

I appreciate the input, thanks man.
There are always other people in the road so YOU are not the only one you have to worry about.

Sorry about this though. That sucks.

Hell I even had full converage on my Hummer. That couldn't get damaged. The stories and pictures I could share would shock some.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree it will ne around 10k or more...I hit a turkey...little damage, dented hood, replaced headlight and grill and my bill was $3k, the headlight alone is around 1500...atleast your not hurt which is the important item. I have noticed the same loss of steering control in the snow/slush and being pulled by it...definitely not fun. I have stock 20's with nokian wr g2 tires...the width hurts on them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
my man... as an insurance agent, WHY didnt you have the comp/collision on your car?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hey I actually stopped by the autobody shop today to take some pictures. The guy said it looks like it may be ~$15,000... but he is going to let me know a more detailed report tomorrow. I am going to get a quote from him to find out how much it will cost to get the car running and then ideally id like to take the car around and get a quote from other people... I think that is probably the best idea. The car is worth roughly 30k dollars (before the accident, via Kelly blue book). He said he would talk to his used car dealer and see if they wanted to buy the car from me before repairs... I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow. All in all this is pretty awful.
And yes, I am a fool for not having collision.

Here's a link to all the pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/107495822531618507602/albums/5699869181814508193

S
orry Can't seem to figure out how to post pictures straight to the thread.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know where a good place to find used parts is?? Gotta try to bring that number down :-/

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey umberto i have the toyo proxes st, i'm pretty sure they are 285/35/22. And I'm pretty sure I have a donut spare. Do you think that will work!? this is a critical part, as hopefully I can get a new tire on there and drive my car around to get a few more bids at fixing this disaster. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wow......the damage is pretty bad. It sucks but at least you still have your health......live another day and buy another car is what I say.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Im really sorry to hear about your accident. The damage although extensive it could have been worse you could get it in running condition and slowly fix it. I wouldn't ditch it so fast thats a very nice rover...did you check to see if you are responsible for that guard rail? thats the other things that insurance cover as well not to rub more salt in your wounds Im sure your beating yourself up enough about it... but I wouldnt be so fast to get rid of it you can find a lot of used parts online very easily now especially with Ebay and other rover sites. If you need some advice PM me....BTW NY plates are you originally from NY?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also noticed you mentioned that the shop you have it at might know people interested in buying it "used car dealers" yeah cause the damage isn't that extensive and they will sell it with a clear title FIX IT!!!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Hey umberto i have the toyo proxes st, i'm pretty sure they are 285/35/22. And I'm pretty sure I have a donut spare. Do you think that will work!? this is a critical part, as hopefully I can get a new tire on there and drive my car around to get a few more bids at fixing this disaster. Thanks so much!!
Well, the rolling difference is fairly substantial between the compact spare and your stock 22s (+/- 3%), but you should be able to get away with it. Definitely make sure the compact spare is mounted on the rear axle and not the front (if the flat is in front, move a driving wheel from the back and replace that one with the spare) or you won't be able to upshift, since the tranny will detect the rolling difference between wheels on the front axle, assume you are in a turn and prevent upshifts past 2nd gear. Keep it under 40 - with a compact spare you don't have much of a choice anyway. Your car looks pretty messed up, sorry man.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, I really appreciate everyones help. So I got off the phone with the auto body guy... he's saying he's looking upwards of $23,000 stating the parts itself run more than 15,000. He said he looked my car up and said its worth between 32,000 - 37,000 based on the miles. And yes I am beating myself up :-/ I think thankfully my "liability" (worst decision ever) does cover the guard rail. He didn't have a chance to ask the used car guy about the trade in, looks like I may have to wait till monday for that, but it does not look promising. This guy also says its not drivable without a bumper on the front, which will be roughly 5,000 for the parts for the bumper cover assembly? He said i'd have to tow it to get it anywhere at this point.

He also said there may be frame damage, and the frame costs $5,300. He said the Left Rail is really slammed into the car. He hasn't had a chance to look for used parts, but i have gone through ebay and there do seem to be quite a few good deals such as a headlight for ~500 (as opposed to 1,356 which is what he got).

I am originally from NY, Nassau county in Long Island. My parents are there.

I think I am going to try calling a few dealerships with the information I have finding out if they'd be interested in trading it in, though I don't know how far I will get. When you turn on the car, he said you get a bunch of suspension lights coming on, and he's not really sure what the deal with the suspension is at the moment.

I love my car, but it looks like this is going to be the end. Not really sure what to do at this point. Thanks again to everyone.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
If you had comp it would most likely be totalled. You may want to prepare yourself for the fact that it will never be the same rig as before the crash. I really don't see any dealership touching it with a barge pole when it comes to trade in. You may get further calling around to your local breakers or a couple of the Rover only yards.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts