RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ten months of ownership for a used 2010 RRS S/C with 42,000 miles

I bought a used 2010 RRS S/C with 42,000 miles, 10 months has passed and the car has been at the dealership for 9 times for various issues.
1. Each time the gas paddle is pressed the tachometer will rev to 3000-4000 rpm but speedos will not moved. Dealer clean the fuel injector.
2. Surround cameras randomly turn to blue screen of death then working normally. No problems found at the dealer.
3. Transmission fault appear on the dash. Towed to the dealership no problem found, luckily I took pictures and show them the fault. Dealer did a software update.
4. The navigation screen suddenly went dark. Nothing works. Radio receiver replaced.
5. No sound from any of the speakers. Amp replaced
6. Same as number 5. amp replaced again.
7. Reverse mirror will not tilt down and clunking noise from the suspension. replaced bushings and new mirror module.
8. surround cameras again. no solution.
9. Driver window and mirror switches does not work. Driver rear door does not locked from key fob or auto lock. Currently sitting at the dealer waiting for parts. the Dealer call and inform me everything work normally. They will replace it anyway.
Ten months of ownership the car spend 30 days at the dealership. I call and complained to LR of North America. I inform them of buying the car back under the lemon law. They will give me the decision with in 30 days.
This is not my first Land Rover. It seem new issues occurred every time I got the back from the dealer.
V/R
Ngo

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: Ten months of ownership for a used 2010 RRS S/C with 42,000 miles

That vehicle almost sounds like it has had prior water / flood damage.

Any history of that?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I looked at the Carfax report nothing was mention about flood damage. The first owner bought the car from Hornburgs and have been in California for the entire time. I have been to the dealer so many times that every service advisors know me. I am currently driving a Kia Soul for a loaner car. May be I should sell my car and buy a Kia.
V/R
Ngo

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
226 Posts

From my research it seems the 2010's are really hit or miss when it comes to reliability. Maybe it's due to the big change in electronics over the 06-09 RRS's? 30 days is lot time in for service let alone getting a Kia for a loaner is unacceptable. My dealer usually has Evoques or LR4's for loaners. If out of them you get a Jag XF. I'd want JLR buy it back honestly.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

I don't think you can lemon a used car. Sorry for your woes. I'd trade it in for a new one. I'd ask for some help from LR on that end. I had a 2010 LR4 and it was the most reliable premium car I've owned. Never had luck with BMWs, POS. Always, always in the shop... and I went though a half dozen of them. Can't go wrong with a Kia... you should consider it and chalk it up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am the opposite of you, the one that trated in for the current one are the most problems that I ever own. I have owned 3 BMW 3 series, Audi, VW, and CTS. Out of all the vehicles RRS is one I enjoy driving the most.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

I am the opposite of you, the one that trated in for the current one are the most problems that I ever own. I have owned 3 BMW 3 series, Audi, VW, and CTS. Out of all the vehicles RRS is one I enjoy driving the most.
Nothing drives as nice as a LR, it's the most enjoyable brand I've owned and driven too. Why don't you try and work something out with LR and try and get a good deal on a '13 RRS? Or maybe even a '14? Or a CPO '12 or something? I feel bad for you, because your experience should be much, much better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I am currently in concact with LR. They assigned a case number. I informed them about my intention 1) buy back the car. They will explore californnia lemon law and decide if I fall under that catagory. They let me know with in 30 days. 2) give me an free extended warranty. I don't if I want to buy another LR. In couple of months I will be moving to Silverdale WA. All LR dealerships are too far away.

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
226 Posts

I would not own a LR if dealer was more than hour away honestly.

·
Registered
171 Posts

I would not own a LR if dealer was more than hour away honestly.
Sound advice. Even though the Range Rovers have seen marked improvement in reliability over the last three or four years, they still enjoy visiting the dealer on a fairly regular basis.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

Well, doesn't every premium car require frequent visits to the dealership more often than not under warranty? I'd say, yes. And not for major issues, but for small issues. When when you're paying 40K+ for a premium car, owners feel entitled to get every little thing looked at or fixed because of higher expectations. I don't find my LR experience to be any different than BMW or Mercedes. My BMWs were in the ship more often, for major issues. Not little things. My wife's Merc has been amazing... the only time she's been in the shop is for regular scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
189 Posts

I feel your pain. My 2010 had 30000 miles and I've had it 6 months. In that time it's spent 7 weeks at the dealer for repairs.

·
Registered
55 Posts

The first thing I thought was water damage with your RRS SC. Carfax doesn't mean a whole lot because not everything is reported. My wife purchased an X5 that we recently discovered was in a minor accident that Carfax never posted. I have full access to the website and it still has not shown up. Even databases like NICB utilized by insurance companies and law enforcement aren't completely accurate. If Joe Schmo backs into a telephone pole and his brother owns a body shop, chances are you won't know a thing unless the vehicle is thoroughly inspected by both a mechanic AND a body guy.

As for lemon law, I'd be shocked if this would fly. Used cars generally don't fall under this category. But please post if you do get something from LR North America.

·
Registered
64 Posts

my nav screen and radio die sometime, but went back with several restart,lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The dealer replace my Amp twice for that proplem. If you car is under warranty tell them to replace it. I am sure the dealer will tell you that is normal because the car is rebooting or the bluetooth from the Iphone is interfering with the car. What I have done is record everything that happened to my car on the smart phone. I showed the advisor. With the 9 problems that I have had so far, it randomly work when ever it feels like it.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts

What's wrong with finding a good Independent mechanic? I wouldn't let a dealer distance get in the way of ownership if this is the vehicle you prefer to drive and own.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Sound advice. Even though the Range Rovers have seen marked improvement in reliability over the last three or four years, they still enjoy visiting the dealer on a fairly regular basis.
I believe there reliability was improved during Ford's ownership. My 08 has been as reliable as any Japanese car I've owned, and way better than BMW.

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
226 Posts

What's wrong with finding a good Independent mechanic? I wouldn't let a dealer distance get in the way of ownership if this is the vehicle you prefer to drive and own.
But if the vehicle is still under manufactures warranty are you willing to make as many trips as the OP did if say the closest dealer is 2 or 3 hours away? A Indy will do you no good in that situation. Out of warranty is a different story.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

My car is still under warranty for another 1500 miles. The closest indy shop in San Diego is another miles away from the dealer. My concerns are, I am about to move to Silverdale Washington and there are no Land Rover in that city. The Nearest one are in Tacoma or Seattle.

·
Registered
436 Posts

But if the vehicle is still under manufactures warranty are you willing to make as many trips as the OP did if say the closest dealer is 2 or 3 hours away? A Indy will do you no good in that situation. Out of warranty is a different story.
The OP's car has 42,000 miles on it! It's out of the factory warranty or close to it in time anyway. If he has a third party warrant, that can be handled with an Indy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts