RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my wife has to drop me somewhere,and wait for me for around 15 - 20 mins in evening time. When i come back i saw temp needle dancing between two blue lines on right. It doesn't look like actual overheating. All the way back home (50km) temp and needle was fine (in center). Just for curiosity i done same test under my house in parking and after 20 mins (EXACTLY) again temp needle started dancing between two blue lines. What triggers here which react only at idle and after 20 min only. I own this car since 6 months and NEVER means NEVER temp gauge or car has overheated, even at 52 degree temp in daytime in June July in Dubai even at idling for more than 30 mins.

Is it ground issue?
Is it water temp sensor issue?
Or something else?

Or its me with black tongue, as same day few hrs prior to this incident i instructed my wife that whenever you leave car at idle for long, keep checking the temp gauge as any car overheat more at idling than running. Never knew my Rangie is so sensitive and can hear all this to show me same in less than 2 hrs time.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Re: Temperature gauge dancing when idle for more than 20 mins

I would start with the electrical sticky at the top of the forum and go through all the tests.

My temp needle used to misbehave when some muppet (that's me :doh: ) hadn't tightened the battery terminals correctly.

Heres to hoping it's a cheap fix :pray:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks kamran,for the heads up. I will check that first.

But why why why after 20 min only, why not on speed bumps like loose SRS cable under the driver seat.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Its an electrical short. Resistance doesn't build up enough until the engine is hot and the electrical system been on awhile. It doesn't use a cable to control the gauge. Mine does this too, haven't figured it out either. This weekend I replaced some replays and tightened some grounds, didn't cure the problem, but definitely helped. Turn your defrosters, heated seats and lights on. If the temperature needle goes up more, then thats your problem. It could be something simple like the battery cable, or bad ground. Mine is more complex and I can't figure it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts