RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temp gauge has stopped working.
Not sure whether its the gauge or the sender... or the thermostat is broken?
My guess is the temp sender
Anybody now the resistance range that I should be able to measure on the sender?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
That would depend on year and model. As we have no clue what continent you are on we can't even narrow it down to what fuel you could be running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would depend on year and model. As we have no clue what continent you are on we can't even narrow it down to what fuel you could be running.
My Apologies, I assume that all classics would be the same, but not quite sure what fuel Im running would have to do with my temp gauge not working?

Its a 1989 3.5 RRC.
Im in New Zealand and running on regular gasoline

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Petrol engines and diesel engines have different sending units and most likely different values at norm.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
256 Posts
Assuming that you have a single lead temp sender, if you remove the lead from the sender unit and connect it to earth (-) the gauge should go to HOT+++! If it doesn't move it's the gauge, if it does move then its the sender, the earlier ones have the 1/4" / 6.3mm tab riveted on, over the years these work loose or corrode and can play up, I have in the past soldered either a wire direct to the sender or the tab to the sender... Depending on whether it's broke or just loose. Obviously the sender can just fail, but it might just be a loose connection:thumb:

If it's a 2 wire sender then just short them together to test ;-)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Test gauge as migget says and make sure connection is tight & clean. Then do yourself a favor and install a real temp gauge like a VDO.

Here's the test sheet for temp gauge but I think it is for the sender to the ECU not the gauge.... might be similar though.

Screenshot 2016-11-15 10.08.46.png

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
372 Posts
Test gauge as migget says and make sure connection is tight & clean. Then do yourself a favor and install a real temp gauge like a VDO.

Here's the test sheet for temp gauge but I think it is for the sender to the ECU not the gauge.... might be similar though.

agreed with installing another gauge. Personal preference, but I prefer a digital aftermarket readout AND a working factory gauge. On my never-ending upgrade list, i have a dashpod sitting on the bench with 3 glow shift gauges. Coolant temp reading / Oil pressure gauge / and digital battery voltage readout.

More info the better / and less chance of missing a HG failure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts