RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Land Rover say the max wading depth is 700mm for my 2007 TDV8.

As this is about half way up the side vents I was wondering where the fresh air intake is now placed to avoid taking in water when wading at 700mm?

I have had a look in the engine bay but its very crowded on the TDV8 and I cannot work it out!

Anybody got a definitive answer? :think:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Gazellio said:
Land Rover say the max wading depth is 700mm for my 2007 TDV8.

As this is about half way up the side vents I was wondering where the fresh air intake is now placed to avoid taking in water when wading at 700mm?

I have had a look in the engine bay but its very crowded on the TDV8 and I cannot work it out!

Anybody got a definitive answer? :think:
The side vents were never used for the air intake as far as I'm aware (I welcome correction). I thought the 2002 draws air in from the top of the wheel arch.

I would be very interested to know what the difference is between the early models with a 500mm wading depth and the facelifts 700mm wading depth.

D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, thats correct. Two big pipes heading downward.

The tdv8 engine is very big under the bonnet. Besides, most of the admission (maybe??) parts work on the top, meaning you really have to look deep just to get a glimpse of the engine headers/valve covers. Turbos are definetly a no see...well maybe from a very tight angle...but they are sooo low.

The valve covers are around 10 inches below that black engine cover

This is the first car I had where I can't tell what is what under the bonnet, everything is so cramped..... :crybaby2:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The side vents are to allow hot air to escape faster from under the hood, so while they do serve a purpose they aren't part of the air intake. The air intake is located right where it was indicated in that diagram. Air goes in through the box and passes through the air filter. There is also an intake for the HVAC near the windshield which may be a consideration, as well as numerous electronics systems which need to stay dry (there is less with diesel). So whatever critical part is the "weakest link" (not necessarily the air intake) it must be mounted slightly higher.

It is possible to waterproof reasonably well by slathering large amounts of silicone on important electronics, taping the doors, installing shields, etc, etc... for a modern RR this would be quite a task and if anything leaks or was missed, it could be a disaster.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
linuxfreakus said:
The side vents are to allow hot air to escape faster from under the hood, so while they do serve a purpose they aren't part of the air intake. The air intake is located right where it was indicated in that diagram. Air goes in through the box and passes through the air filter. There is also an intake for the HVAC near the windshield which may be a consideration, as well as numerous electronics systems which need to stay dry (there is less with diesel). So whatever critical part is the "weakest link" (not necessarily the air intake) it must be mounted slightly higher.

It is possible to waterproof reasonably well by slathering large amounts of silicone on important electronics, taping the doors, installing shields, etc, etc... for a modern RR this would be quite a task and if anything leaks or was missed, it could be a disaster.
I know where the Air Filter Box is but that's sealed and it must draw the fresh air from somewhere where it can always get a good supply?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just had a look under the bonnet. Still no major news but it may help...

Below the airbox (it's embeded in it) there's a tube going to the right into the inner wing on the inside of the engine bay.
Now, if you open the bonnet and look through the space on the top between the end of the headlight assembly (there's a very small gap there) and the front left wing you can see something like a rubber tube end.

So, for what i've seen, the air comes in through the space between the front wing (outside of the car) and the inside of that.

Have a look and tell me what you think....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FFRR thread has thrown this very interesting factor up:

I saw a 2010 RR Supercharged yesterday and among other things the air intakes (there are 2, one on each side) are exactly where the red arrow points, (in the shape of the depressed metal) behind a plastic grille. I bet there are precisely 20 cm between the old intake and the new ones...

·
Registered
43 Posts

The air intake on a TDV8 should go roughly on the black circle position but on the opposite side, and not on the arrow.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
Well I finally went to the dealer and took a picture with the intake of the 2010 supercharged (there are actually 2 intakes, one on each side):

1 - 17 of 17 Posts