RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been towed home by AA. Went to pick up a takeaway, got back in the car after 5 minutes and it refused to start. Engine spins over fine, but just doesn't fire. Recovery guy said there were no error codes, but it looked like no fuel is getting through. He said it could be emergency cut-off switch had triggered, but he couldn't find where it is to check :? . Can anyone tell me where this is? Did a search but couldn't find it and can't find my handbook. Any other suggestions before I get the dealership to tow me in? Just completed 400 mile run day before without a hint of anything wrong, and this has never happened before. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
87 Posts
Have you tried the fuel filter?

I know that when I had my RR in for a big service they said that this was a common part to fail and cause problems.

Mr R

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have a look, thanks. Was it an immediate failure, or progressive?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked and found that there's no fuel getting to the filter....does this point to the inertia switch triggering, or I guess pump failure?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the Rave manual and don't see any reference to an inertia or fuel cutoff switch. Anyone know if the TDI has this? Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Could it be in the pump?

I know on other vehicles that it can be found in the pump.

Cheers Mr R

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not sure about the L322, but on some cars, the switch is under one of the front seats or under the dash somewhere - I assume you mean the switch that gets triggered in an accident? Can you hear the pump?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies Mr R and Leo.

Yes I mean the switch that gets triggered in an accident. I can't hear the pump, so that could be the problem. I checked under the seat and dash but no sign of it so it could be in the pump as you say. Do you know how to reset it if it is?

Thanks again.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Don't know about the diesel I'm afraid but the petrol models don't have a separate inertia switch. The fuel cut-off function is triggered by the same sensor that activates the airbags, so if your airbags haven't gone off then the fuel supply hasn't been cut either. As I said, I'm not sure if it's the same for the diesel though.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
The V8's cut the fuel pump? I would've thought it's the same as the diesel - which actually has a mini-charge attached to the + terminal at the battery. In an accident that pops the airbags, the charge on the terminal pops the main + feed. There is still a secondary feed so that the nav has time to shut down, but the engine will not start or run.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Which means that, if you're cranking ok, you've got other probs.

What happened to the 'Edit' button? "nd time I've wanted to add something and had to post a-fresh.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: TD not starting - conclusion

Thanks for the dialog and suggestions guys.

I got AA to recover it to dealer who just told me its the fuel pump that failed. Will replace first thing this morning (£350 fitted)

The good news: It didn't happen during the 1000 mile round trip to England, with return journey the day before. It didn't happen when wife was driving on her own (which is quite often and I'm away from home during weekdays). AA came out 3 times 1) on initial breakdown to try and fix (12 midnight), 2) Recovery wagon to take home (2.00am) 3) Recovery wagon to take to dealer (1 day later)- I didn't think they would do 2 recoveries.

The bad news: The extra hour for daylight saving was used up sitting at roadside waiting for AA :roll: Wife now lost confidence in RR so wants replacement.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glad you have got it sorted! :D

Get the good lady a little cheap run around car. Bet she soon likes the RR very soon after. :D :dance: :D

Mr R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts