RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My current daily driver is in need of replacement anc I’m about ready to pull the trigger on a new Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription but for fun I looked at pre-owned L405’s in diesel with low milage. For the money of the new XC90 ($60k) I can get into a clean example of a pre-owned TD6 L405. Here are my two questions:

First, in real world city driving is the L405 diesel really returning 22mpg? I drive 110miles a day on average so fuel economy is an important factor for me, I don’t want the average Rover 13-15mpg in town.

Second, has anyone driven a TD6 past the 100k miles mark? I’m curious as how the long term reliability is. I typically trade around 130-150k miles and with a used L405 I will already be 10-15k miles in on the clock when I get it.

Thank you for the feed back!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I cannot comment on the mileage of the TD6, but can offer some advice.

I would HIGHLY consider a 2017 or newer. 2018 was a mild facelift from the 2013-2017. 2017 looks the same as 2013-2016 but there were massive changes to the infotainment system. Only 2017 and newer can have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. You can read up on all the differences, but I would not even consider something pre-2017, that is how big of a difference the system makes.

Also, the other thing to consider is that diesel is more expensive than premium. Where I live, 93 octane gasoline is about $2.50/gallon but diesel is about $3.00/gallon. Some people dont care about the cost and like the diesel for added range, not cost savings.

I have a 2017 SC V6 and can get 20-21 MPG on the highway if I take it easy (70-75 MPH). Around town I get closer to 16-17 MPG.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've had my TD6 for 38 months and 37k miles. It's not hard to get 29 MPG highway and 20+ MPG combined real-world. Diesel is 10% more expensive here but gets probably 30% better economy than the gas engines. I would disagree that pre-2017's should be avoided. Yes they have older infotainment systems but even the new system is pretty crappy. Let's face it, Range Rovers haven't had competitive infotainment systems, ever. A $20k civic tech blows away a Range Rover.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
I've been getting 20+ city as well, I'm taking it on a longer road trip this weekend so I'll see what the highway average is.

As for the infotainment, I agree with Remington. Have you seen the reviews on the 2019 infotainment. I do like the larger screen on the 2017 though. Diesel for me where I am is cheaper than premium.

I would say if there is anything I dislike about the diesel is that it is a little louder engine wise. The SCv6 was smooth and quiet, but the milage and the torque outweigh the engine noise.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
23 Posts
2019 TD6 with 4k miles, drive 60% traffic highway, 20% traffic free highway, 20% city, I am getting 22.8, 23.4 range for the total trip and usually 28-29 on traffic-free highway with 70mph.

·
Registered
92 Posts
... in real world city driving is the L405 diesel really returning 22mpg? I drive 110miles a day on average so fuel economy is an important factor for me, I don’t want the average Rover 13-15mpg in town.

Second, has anyone driven a TD6 past the 100k miles mark? I’m curious as how the long term reliability is. I typically trade around 130-150k miles and with a used L405 I will already be 10-15k miles in on the clock when I get it.
I have almost 70,000 miles on my 2016 TD6. I usually keep my Rovers for one full generation, last one was traded in with 252,000 miles on it.

It's really too soon to comment on long term reliability IMO. I've had a few small bugs, mostly software related, but nothing major. I keep an IID Tool handy so I can do the small things myself without paying a dealer. So far it's been wonderful and I've taken two very long road trips in it.

City MPG I haven't checked in a while, but it's gotta be in the low 20's. Your personal driving style light-to-light will have the most affect on city MPG.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Had a Biz trip from one end of NJ to the tip....30 mpg at 80 mph average...around town 22 or so and I am on a lot of hills and drive spirited...

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Hey there Keith! I was fortunate that when the first diesels hit the US my neighbour with a 405L AB ran down and bought one. He pulled in my drive, handed me the key and said to go break it in and let me know to positives and negatives. I found no negatives. We lived in hilly territory at the time. I went for an initial drive around the area running errands... some were not really needed. Effortless on hills thanks the monster low end torque.

Decided to run up I-5 to Bellingham to visit a couple friends and coworkers and hit three cemeteries and pay respects to piles of family and the person I named after and his father. 30-32 MPG on I-5 and NO hesitation on long hills and bends. Puttering around Bellingham instant readings were around 28 and 29. The entire round trip of 240 miles averaged out at 29-31 MPG.

Mr Rhino, I can guarantee you will NOT be upset with either performance or mileage. Comfort is far ahead of your P38... Snarky comment time, just don't close the garage door on her roof or let your wife burn the seat leather! :mrgreen:

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
I agree with RRToadhall, I have not owned the TD6 but have driven them,they are great. Mine is a supposedly thirsty Supercharged, but gets not far short of 20 mpg on road (discountng the majority of the time that it spends driving on the ranch), not the 13 or so of previous models (I have had one of each of them to compare, the L322 was the best but still not as good as the latest models). I am sure the Diesel one does much better in fuel economy, although I must say that if I really cared passionately about fuel economy I would not own a Range Rover. The longer range would be a much greater potential benefit to me for long range off road trips to the desert, but unfortunately Land Rover in their wisdom cut down the size of the fuel tank on the Diesel models, reducing that incentive.

As for longevity it may be too soon to know for sure. I gather that earlier versions of the engine were prone to crankshaft failure, although never officially admitted AFAIK, but I have not heard of any on the new model, so hopefully that problem was taken care of. I would say the notorious quality control issues of Land Rover products have been addressed at least partially -- having owned a Volvo they were just as bad or worse back in the day.

As for Infotainment/Nav systems Land Rovers have always been a decade behind in user-friendliness on items like that and trailer wiring, etc, no doubt a hangover from the old Lucas days, so if that is what floats your boat buy don't buy one.

Do buy one if you want a superb luxurious, comfortable, fast vehicle that will run circles around your Volvo off road.

Cheers

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts