RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Td6 just died on Saturday (Awaiting official diagnosis). Symptoms began with a very fast “lurching/bucking” vibration if the revs dropped below 2k rpm, or went above 3k and progressively lost available gears. Managed to nurse it to a pull-out (a very tight 2 lane mountain pass) and just as I came to a stop, red engine oil light illuminated briefly, then extinguished. Placed trans in neutral, applied the parking brake, and upon opening the door, was greeted with a stomach churning sound. Will upload videos of the initial symptoms and after sounds momentarily. Thinking this might be the first engine & trans failure on here?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you look under the hood? Where any belts broken?
No broken belts, nor was any abnormal fluid visible under hood, on the underbody, or on the trailer/car being towed. SA at the dealer who received the car called yesterday and simply asked “what the hell happened?”. As I told him, was in the middle of the return leg of a 3k mi round trip, everything had been as usual until I began to feel an abnormal vibration when throttle was applied with the revs below 2k. I cancelled ACC, got a feel for it with my foot and focused on keepiing the revs up with CommandShift. This was in a mountainous area complicated with visibility less than 100m (Driving Assistance Cameras had gone offline) so I simply wanted to get to a place where I could pull over. It felt to me like the torque converter lockup clutch or its circuit developed a problem and may have led to an engine overspeed on one of the steeper downhill grades encountered earlier. Definitely sounds like a spun bearing/rod knock. Will know soon I hope.

This is the first time I’ve had a Land Rover break down on me in 23 years. Perhaps it was about time for me to have a real ownership experience haha.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First TD6 failure that ive heard of. Too bad. New engine for you.
We shall see. Latest update is a “bad injector” and awaiting parts. Although I can absolutely believe it and would explain an initial point of failure, I’m hesitant to think a single injector replacement will compromise the full extent of repairs. Not once did a CEL come before and still has not. It still cranks and will fire up, but the rotational metallic clanging is still there and gets just a little worse each time. Cannot remember if The injectors are inward or outward opening nor can I remember if a diesel can experience a fuel induced hydrolock with a stuck injector either.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
293 Posts
Wow, sure took them a long time to get to that conclusion. How long until you get it back? How do they compensate you for drop in resale value associated with an engine swap?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Why would there be a drop in resale if it is a brand new motor from JLR and installed by JLR and zero miles and I assume a fresh engine warranty on it...it's not like a classic vette where numbers have to match...

·
Registered
293 Posts
If I ran a Carfax on a Range Rover, and found the local pothead at the dealer installed a 2nd engine rather than the operating room like environment at the factory, I'd run for the hills. Not to mention there could be other impacted components of the drive train you only hope they fixed at the same time.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Would that show up on CarFax?
Unless you for some reason had it done at a non-dealer, which clearly wouldn’t be the case, then yes. Dealers report even oil changes let alone engine swaps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I ran a Carfax on a Range Rover, and found the local pothead at the dealer installed a 2nd engine rather than the operating room like environment at the factory, I'd run for the hills. Not to mention there could be other impacted components of the drive train you only hope they fixed at the same time.
They aren't building the engine at the dealership, they are installing the engine. You're talking as if these dealers are hiring Billy Bob from the local fix-it shop and dropping the engine in the vehicle in a back yard. You obviously haven't been in a LR service bay before. It looks very similar to the factory tour at Solihul.

·
Registered
293 Posts
They aren't building the engine at the dealership, they are installing the engine. You're talking as if these dealers are hiring Billy Bob from the local fix-it shop and dropping the engine in the vehicle in a back yard. You obviously haven't been in a LR service bay before. It looks very similar to the factory tour at Solihul.

No of course, "just" the install. But I've used 3 different dealers in the last year, and 2 of them were awful. One so bad I'm suing them. THey missed things like closing the hood all the way before I leave, putting 2 of the 8 screws in to hold a door panel on, scratching wheels, etc. Have spent more time than I care to admit in these bays, and have toured the factory actually in Solihul. Maybe all the SoCal dealers are garbage compared to GA, but I'm glad I finally found a dealer that does a decent job.

In my experience, the quality of the work is all up to the service directory. Bad service director means bad work. Some of the guys I've met working on these cars shouldn't have been able to get a job at Walmart.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Solihul looks like this? This is the local dealer......

IMG_0623.JPG IMG_0624.JPG

·
Registered
623 Posts
My Td6 just died on Saturday (Awaiting official diagnosis). Symptoms began with a very fast “lurching/bucking” vibration if the revs dropped below 2k rpm, or went above 3k and progressively lost available gears. Managed to nurse it to a pull-out (a very tight 2 lane mountain pass) and just as I came to a stop, red engine oil light illuminated briefly, then extinguished. Placed trans in neutral, applied the parking brake, and upon opening the door, was greeted with a stomach churning sound. Will upload videos of the initial symptoms and after sounds momentarily. Thinking this might be the first engine & trans failure on here?
sorry to hear it. what year truck?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, sure took them a long time to get to that conclusion. How long until you get it back? How do they compensate you for drop in resale value associated with an engine swap?
It’s still there. Main issue is the lack of fault codes. It never presented an active OBD Fuel Injection System issue which meant the initial approved repair was the sole out of range injector. None were available in the US so it took over 2 weeks to obtain. It wasn’t until after that was installed and unsuccessful at resolving the problem that a tear-down was authorized. This time a full powerplant (not a short block, but a complete long block - fully assembled with all sub-systems/accessories), was approved and required to be pulled from the factory.

Its a lease so no drop in resale value compensation (nor would I ask for it if applicable). What I do intend to pursue is a replacement vehicle (good-will exchange). I simply do not trust this specific one anymore for reasons unrelated to the replacement engine, but due to the lack of system fault notitifications. This isn’t the first time I’ve noticed when something clearly wasn’t functioning with zero CC Messages/idiot light(s) displayed.

sorry to hear it. what year truck?
Late-build MY16 - so far the the first and only case to appear.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts
This isn’t the first time I’ve noticed when something clearly wasn’t functioning with zero CC Messages/idiot light(s) displayed.
That sounds a bit like my AJ133 engine failure (thread here); knock and rough idle didn't involve a MIL (aka CEL) even when there were DTCs in Current Fault memory (relating to crankshaft position sensor and timing over-advanced), except for two times: once around the outset of the issue (mid-July) and once again when **** hit the fan (31 Aug) and the knock was much more pronounced, and w/ the crankshaft position sensor and timing errors plus a new fuel rail pressure error in 'pending fault' status.

The truck also went into limp mode without any notification of reduced power output; I even checked the "messages" menu item in the Vehicle Status (or is it Vehicle Information?) cluster menu, which read "OK".

I know the software is ****e, but when it comes to telemetry and cabin alert systems, I would hope that things would be tight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts