RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am attempting to change the alternator on my 03 TD6 and have followed the instructions from the Rave CD but on trying to detension the compressor drive belt tensioner with a 16mm spanner from underneath I have had no success. The tensioner seems rock solid and even with a socket on wont move at all clockwise to release the belt. I looked at the detail on Rave to remove the tensioner which seems to suggest taking an allen screw out of the back to release the arm but on comparing my tensioner to the one in the pic its certainly different to the one shown on Rave for the TD6, different shape and looks more substantial. Thought I would try to get some advice before I take anything else off. I thought the viscous fan was going to be the hard part and not even got to that yet !

Bob

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi bobc,

I believe the idea is to use a spanneron the 16 mm bolthead to MOVE the tensionner clockwise to the right to be able to get of the belt; you will not be able to loosen this bolt by turning it clockwise.
In order to remove the tensionner from its shaft you should turn anti-clockwise but this is not the idea. You only want to get the tension of the belt in order to remove it.
Good luck
Ronald

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update
After lots of WD40, hammering and levering I have managed to free off the tensioner although its still very stiff, more difficult as I am lying under the car doing this, seems like water has run down the shaft and corroded the shaft in the housing making it stuck fast. I then had a battle with the viscous fan and eventually got that off after grinding down a 32mm spanner to get on the nut on the end of the pump and using another 32mm spanner on the viscous fan nut, this was after trying to shock it off then making a thin spanner which bent first go ! Oh the joy of working on a RR !
Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts