Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought myself an 03' TD6 HSE with only 45k on the clock and noticed its a bit smokey on load.
Have checked and it's black smoke, nothing comes out on tick over and there seems to be no loss of power, but when I'm driving along I notice the smoke out of my wing mirrors (worse at night in car headlights).

The car has only done 15k in the last 7 years, and by the sounds of it hasn't really been driven much in the last year (apart from being taken 10 miles to its mot in jan).

It isn't showing that it needs a service for 5.5k miles, and I have found out that it had the uprated cyclonic oil filter/ breather fitted within the last year.

I took it back to the mechanic who has always serviced it and he told me it was nothing to worry about, but it seems abnormal to me!

I have done a search and got some information but wondering if anyone has any specific knowledge that might help me with this one?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
First of all I would be very surprised at that mileage if it was anything mechanical.. So first thing would be change the air filter. Then inspect the oil? Is it crappy? Does it smell burnt? If you can? Change it and the oil filter too.... then its done! Next if still not cleared is the EGR valve. Mine is disconnected and it runs much cleaner and better. I have 124K on my TD6... If all of the above has been covered then "TRY" a decent Injector Cleaner fluid. Actually it would be prudent to do this right from the get go. I do mine once a year. Last but I doubt it really is this would be the injectors themselves. At 45K miles it would be extremely rare and I have certainly not heard of any BMW units needing overhauls at such low miles. Finally GOOD LUCK I hope I have been of some help and put your mind at rest.? Regards Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great reply, thank you very much for your help!
I have booked it into a mates garage for a service on tuesday.....will get all those points checked and if needed, changed to make sure! I have got an injector cleaner ready to flush through when this is all done and will keep an eye on it afterwards!!

As you said, I should hope there are no major problems at this mileage, but you never know!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got to the bottom of this......the intercooler had a big hole in it! Got it replaced (at a cost of £500!!!) and is running perfectly! Just done a 400 mile round trip and was running like a dream.....managed to get 28mpg too which I was quite happy about!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts