RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought a 1993 classic with no engine and wanted to put a diesel into it, wanted to know which way to go to get the best out of it.

was told that the 300tdi would be slow while the td5 would be to much trouble to get the wiring working.

any info would be a help, also which auto box would you use (3.5,3.9, TDi, TD5)

Thanks Wayne

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Because he's in the UK and they are like hens teeth here whereas the TD5 and 300TDi can be found everywhere as they were fitted in the Discovery.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
They did a factory 300TDi anyway that used the same ZF4HP22 automatic gearbox and Borg Warner transfer box as the V8, so I'd stick with that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Seconded - the 300tdi is not as lacklustre as folk would have you believe, and it's far easier to fit - Land Rover have in effect done the development for you - less problems with insurance too of course.

That said, a TD5 will fly if you can get it to work, so if you're up for the challenge you'll reap the benefits in both performance and economy. I'm sure there's a firm in the West Mids who can sort the ECU for the engine - my mate runs Atkinson Land Rover and he mentioned it a while back when I visited - might be worth a search on the interweb

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Aloha,
Been over on the P-38 side for a while, and thought I would check out the Classic folks.
Perhaps I can help out here as I have done this one several years ago.
I put a 300Tdi in the 85 I use in Outback Oz, and it is terrific! (Petrol engine and 3 speed torqueflite were clapped out at 300,000km)
With the 5 speed gearbox from the donor Disco, it will not break any acceleration records, but it is super thrifty, like 48 mpg at 110 kph with the air con on (Flat terrain)
and off road, it has plenty of torque and I routinely bury my mates with petrol powered Classics when doing major treks like Simpson Desert.(about 25 mpg in soft sand)
I also annually tow my Austin Champ on tandem trailer about 500km to various places in Oz for meets with like minded enthusiasts, and it will tow 2 tons quite well.
I chose this over the TD5 due to the complete lack of electronics on the 300 Tdi.
I did put in an over sized Radiator, and due to a failed tensioner on the timing belt, did a bit of a rebuild and had the block line bored.....Now even better than it was!
Happy swapping!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seconded - td5 lovely engine great in my 90 defender whould be great in an range rover if you can find a low milage discovery cheep to use the engine and ecu

·
Registered
2 Posts
4bts are available from Mainland Europe but are costly enough at £2K for a used item.

TD5's are a pain. They make good power and are tuneable but have their issues especially the early ones and head gaskets ! Plus the wiring is a pain.

300TDi's are awesome. Cheap, easy to fix and you can get good power out of them with the tuning pin/intercooler and exhaust upgrades. I have one in my Disco 1 and with 35's and the upgrades it flys along.

Another option would be the 3.5 Mazda. I have one in my RRC. 265 torque and 130 bhp standard. Good few of these knocking around from the conversions from the early 90s from V8's. Ultra reliable and bulletproof engines with room for major tuning. 200 bhp is easily achievable. Im aiming for about 170 as Im sticking with 24 spline Rover axles and 200 and even 170bhp will put major strain on them off road.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They did a factory 300TDi anyway that used the same ZF4HP22 automatic gearbox and Borg Warner transfer box as the V8, so I'd stick with that.
Close but not exactly....the 300 Tdi uses the ZF-4HP-24 #748

You cant use a V8 ZF transmission in its standard form.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all I'm going down the 300TDi route because I've been offered a 300 disco £400.

thanks again Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts