RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've done some searching and not found much, so thought I would ask the question. Has anyone managed to fit a TD5 engine in their P38? I'm particularly interested in knowing of conversions from a V8 to a TD5.

I have D2 TD5 along side my P39 4.6 and I have to say that I quite like the engine. With this in mind and the inevitable engine change at some point in the future along with the soaring fuel prices, I have been thinking why not put a TD5 engine in when the time comes? Some have suggested putting a TD6 in and some a TDV8. I'm open to ideas on the possibilities, just thought that from a communications stand point the TD5 might be easier than a new engine running on a CAN BUS system.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Fitting a TD5 into a P38 is very possible,but hardly worth it.The easy way to do it is to run it with a Defender ecu,but some of the original Gems sensors need to be in place to satisfy the Gems ecu which is best left in place .This includes the crank sensor,(But it would have to read a 36-1 Gems/thor flywheel,not the TD5 layout)throttle position sensor and possibly the coolant sensor.This should be enough to keep Gems feeding info to the auto box ecu and dealing with mobilisation etc with the BECM.
I have to say that bearing in mind the value of the car you would need to either totally ignore costs or do a large amount of the work yourself.
A top hat liner rebuild of the 4.6 and a decent sequential LPG system would be far easier,and probably cheaper to run.

·
Registered
275 Posts
TD5 in a P38???

Go wash your mouth with soap!!! No tractor engine in that car please!!! -------in fact diesels should be forbidden! -petrol is the only way to go LOL

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ferdinand said:
-------in fact diesels should be forbidden! -petrol is the only way to go LOL
I totally disagree with this statement. Infact when compared to petrols, diesels are much efficient & cleaner. & petrol engine wear out much sooner than diesels.

I read a recent article regarding the hybrid toyota prius which does very good for a 1.8L petrol engine with ~4.5l/100km. But a modern day TD engine without a hybrid engine does even better on highways than the petrol hybrids.

& the efficiency diesels in big vehicles gets the best of fuel economy, power & less amount of emissions (pls correct me if i'm wrong here)

There's a reason why all big trucks are diesels & not petrol, and Audi TDi race car winning races over all other petrol powered racers.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
mariner82 said:
Hi Guys,

I've done some searching and not found much, so thought I would ask the question. Has anyone managed to fit a TD5 engine in their P38? I'm particularly interested in knowing of conversions from a V8 to a TD5.

I have D2 TD5 along side my P39 4.6 and I have to say that I quite like the engine. With this in mind and the inevitable engine change at some point in the future along with the soaring fuel prices, I have been thinking why not put a TD5 engine in when the time comes? Some have suggested putting a TD6 in and some a TDV8. I'm open to ideas on the possibilities, just thought that from a communications stand point the TD5 might be easier than a new engine running on a CAN BUS system.

Cheers
Hi Oscar,

I went through some questions 4 years ago and i considered a GM LS1 at the time for reliability reason.
Considering the cost and the unknown issues of any conversion i didn't.

I did the maths and the economy made by running on LPG pays me new 4.6 every 100.000 km or so. And since the cooling system is in good condition and with some more alerts : thanks Little Black Box, there should be less risks to broke an engine. I touch wood.

Does your V8 is already on LPG?

Diesels may be good, i drove some fines like MB E270CDI (that thing pulls very well and has a sport suspension package) and L322 TD6 but there's no way my rangie sounds like a tractor. Keep it rare, keep it on V8.

Cheers

Flo

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,

I thank you all for your input it is all valuable.

Ally, if I am to understand you correctly, engine mounts aside, this is a doable transplant, all be it a little tricky it should be easier than taking a non LR engine and running that?

I have considered LPG previously and I like the idea however until the petrol stations near me get their act together and start to offer it I think I will stick to petrol. The closest station that does LPG is about 30 KM away. The other thing that I have to take into consideration is that in Sweden if you make a change such as adding an LPG system to your vehicle you have to re-register it. This would be the same if I swapped out to a diesel.

The other thing that makes me think diesel is that, Diesel never intended his engine to run on an oil derivative. His engine was originally designed to run on bio diesel (or cooking oil, lets face it, its all bio really). There are now several companies offering to sell you a plant that will allow you to make bio diesel. They come all setup and all you have to do is to add the used cooking oil and away you go. Alternatively one could always use one of the hundreds of schematics available and build your own system. Being that I live where I live in Sweden I have lots of room to place one of these plants and luckily a couple of places that I could collect used cooking oil from to produce the fuel.

I'm open to all suggestions on this one as it doesn't have to be done any time soon (touch wood) and want to evaluate my options before the time comes.

I agree with everyone on the noise that a diesel makes and would very much consider one of the newer TD6 or TDV8 instead and if anyone thinks that this might be a viable option then please do let us know. Diesels are noisy but as Gunemalli says they generally last longer and have the potential to be much more carbon friendly than a hybrid (providing you are using bio diesel which is then only releasing back CO2 that the plants collected in the first place). I'm not sure of Gunemalli's numbers, they sound a little too good to be true. Diesels are used in big trucks as they generally give a lot more tork which is needed for pulling the large loads that they do. Also once they get going, they can keep going a lot longer on diesel than on petrol before having to refuel.

I do love the sound of the V8 there is nothing quite like it and with the exhaust system that one of the previous owners put on my rig it sounds superb when you put your foot down, tunnels are the best for this :dance:

Cheers

·
Registered
541 Posts
That behaviour in public will get you arrested in the States.

lol...don't mind me, I have a juvenile sense of humor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts