2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
132 Posts
LR/Jag to use Blackberry software

This is what I was talking about a many months ago, that I couldn't say under the NDA I had to sign in the UK when at LR/JAG HQ, until now that it's been officially released.....

This is the move to better software WITH apple car play and android car ready.... LR/Jag were going to make clients choose either , but decide to scrap the current system and piggy back off the already developed LTE ready infotainment software WITH over the air updating. Apps and features can be purchased from the system interface , including audio streaming which the company I work for will be handling all the debt and credit card transactions .

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-blackberry-jaguar-landrover/jaguar-land-rover-vehicles-to-use-blackberry-software-idUSKBN1GY0G7

and before anyone gets their feathers ruffled... Ford/Lincoln, Benz, BMW, Rolls Royce, Acura, Lexus, FCA ( dodge/jeep/ram/Maserati/Ferrari) infotainment systems are all running off Rim/Blackberry operating systems. It's also the only thing keeping Rim/Blackberry alive as a company, due to the rock solid reliability & security of their software.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Re: LR/Jag to use Blackberry software

Lol. Buying QNX was the best thing for them. Medical, elevators, etc run it. QNX has the largest market share by far in the infotainment industry. The smart cars that they have shown off are pretty impressive.

Ford hired a ton of old BlackBerry engineers and MB has a dedicated team just using their QNX relationship. I thinking VW also started a division for this part also. Amazing how just a short while ago having satellite radio in your dash was the most advanced tech a consumer used.

I still find the news insteresting considering LR has been using QNX since before BlackBerry bought them. Those TFT screen don't just get programed and run using magic.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts

Ford found out the hard way using software from the Blue Screen Of Death Company was a mistake! Must have wasted millions and upset countless customers in that partnership.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Actually VW/Audi/Porsche/Bentley have been Windows ME based. You can actually plug in a USB-type 1, Microsoft branded mouse, hold down the HVAC air direction Defrost, Floor and front vent buttons, AND Auto button , turn on the car WITHOUT starting the engine and it will power-up/boot into windows desktop, and use it as a regular windows desktop. I was told by the blackberry team it was not until recently with the new dual screen setups did Audi/Porsche/Bentley start migrating to QNX interfaces. GM is also using Windows ME, and all their brands/divisions.

What I couldn't get an answer out of LR/Jag about is that Tata has 1 of the top 5 IT software development & services companies in the world, why outsourced at a higher cost is beyond me....

Lol. Buying QNX was the best thing for them. Medical, elevators, etc run it. QNX has the largest market share by far in the infotainment industry. The smart cars that they have shown off are pretty impressive.

Ford hired a ton of old BlackBerry engineers and MB has a dedicated team just using their QNX relationship. I thinking VW also started a division for this part also. Amazing how just a short while ago having satellite radio in your dash was the most advanced tech a consumer used.

I still find the news insteresting considering LR has been using QNX since before BlackBerry bought them. Those TFT screen don't just get programed and run using magic.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I'm pretty sure Merc is moving away when they integrate MBUX. I was also pretty sure the automakers were moving away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts