RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did some searching, only could find old threads naming out of business sellers and expired photos.

I want to get a wood kit to cover up a few parts of the black plastic, namely around:
(1) the window switches,
(2) headlight switch, and
(3) rear ash tray - my dog managed to scratch that.
(4) the black strips on both sides of the gear selector

Obviously color match is important but I am especially concerned about the part that goes around the headlight switch and other switches at the top of the dash. The kits I'm seeing do not appear to cover that area fully.

It looks like the kits are 49 pieces but I will likely only use a handful to avoid over-doing it. Definitely don't want a cheeseball look.

Anyone know of any kits that match the factory burlwood AND have a good looking piece for the part of the dash by the headlights?

http://ebay.com/itm/300269921940

http://m.ebay.com/itm/300269921940?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

This appears to be the closest one so far . . .

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Stay away from the stick on plastic kits, I tried them and they're exactly as they say, cheap stick on plastic. They also look like they've been stuck on.
I tried them on mine and in some places, around the hevac, window switch pack, radio, they look okay. But the first hot summer, they start peeling away from the backing and look really naff.
Do as I did in the end, searched EBay breakers for a complete genuine wood kit from a Vogue.
Looks the business and looks genuine, which it is.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
+1 for the stick ons...only look good for a short time and am sure from what I've seen of nico's immaculate interior they would last 5 minutes....

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stay away from the stick on plastic kits, I tried them and they're exactly as they say, cheap stick on plastic. They also look like they've been stuck on.
I tried them on mine and in some places, around the hevac, window switch pack, radio, they look okay. But the first hot summer, they start peeling away from the backing and look really naff.
Do as I did in the end, searched EBay breakers for a complete genuine wood kit from a Vogue.
Looks the business and looks genuine, which it is.
That's a bummer. My mom had a really nice stick-on wood kit added by the dealer to one of her cars in the early 90s.

The idea of stick on wood skeeves me out a bit but I was hoping there'd be some that are fantastic.

I'm surprised no one sells a really good one - I remember reading that LR dealers once sold an extra stick-on kit (perhaps its poor quality is why those sales are purely a past practice now).

We don't have Vogues here in the U.S. I guess I will have to keep an eye on the salvage yards for a weirdly optioned 4.6 to show up. I've seen a few with genuine wood paneling around the HVAC/headlights controls (presumably like a Vogue).

+1 for the stick ons...only look good for a short time and am sure from what I've seen of nico's immaculate interior they would last 5 minutes....
:-D Well thank you.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I suspect the price may have something to do with why they are no longer available. Rimmer Bros still list it but you'll see what I mean about the price http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID009719. My SE had stick on plastic wood when I got it and it looked terrible. So I sat in the car with a hair dryer and peeled it all off again.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read about your SE's crap wood in one of the super old threads I found. That Rimmers kit looks awesome! I'm bummed that it's discontinued I do see why - those prices! Ouch

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know for certain whether this wood surround out of a navi car will fit into one without navi?

image.jpg

·
Registered
616 Posts
If anyone knows where I can obtain the ebony black wood interior parts for a Westminster, please let me know. My window switch trim has a flaw made possibly from a service tech not properly reinstalling it after transmission work.

I'd also like to squirrel away extra pieces to replace as old age and sun take their tolls.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting this thread, I'm after a late P38.
There's a nice one near me. Blue with cream interior, but horrible green trim.
I'll watch with interest.

Saw this but it's in the US, not sure what shipping would cost, but it appears to suggest the trim for Nav equipped cars is different.

Cheers

Drew

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Anyone know for certain whether this wood surround out of a navi car will fit into one without navi?

View attachment 111434
Yes, should do.

On the later ones the nav screen is just clipped into place, and I think the cubby box was also a 'clip in' item - so if there wasn't a nav screen then you just got the box instead.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure they're identical. If you want the nav working then you'd need all the other bits and wiring loom etc.

Cheers,
Marty

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Marty, as usual.

I asked because I found a salvage yard that has the wood trim from a nav-equipped car. I want to install just the wood trim (not the nav screen) into my non-nav car.

It looks like you're right, the cubby box is a separate piece of plastic. I had no idea! Now that I see that the cubby is a separate piece of plastic, it is clearer that the wood trim is transferrable. Thanks again.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
You'll also need to transfer over the cabin temp sensor trim. Be really careful as the pegs get brittle and were flimsy from the start.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't even think of that but I do see that the sensor trim is a different size. Thanks!

But would that eliminate the cubby?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
I think on the 'clip in' ones, the bottom trim is included.. This picture on the britcar site (ok, it's upside down!) shows the 'clip in' cubby box, but with the bottom piece of trim.

Yes, you would end up with a line in the trim between the edge of cubby and the sensor, and if that bothered you, then you should be able to do as RRTH says and remove a complete trim piece and transplant it

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/116380/8345/console_storage_bin_assy_nrr

The part number for the storage bin is FHM100320LNF for reference

Hope this helps,

Marty

P.S. I just did a google search and here's one, brand new on eBay US - it shows it has the trim across the bottom aswell: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Dash-Console-Storage-Bin-Assembly-NNR-Genuine-NEW-OEM-FHM100320LNF-/281419995091

P.P.S Did an image search of the part, and here's one of it installed: http://s343.photobucket.com/user/meeja_PH/media/dash.jpg.html

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just talked to the salvage yard. The guy insists that I will not be able to use the wood with my existing cubby and cabin sensor. That seems to conflict with Carl's experience, which I am prone to favor. I guess I will risk it.

Thanks for those links, Marty. If I can't get my existing cubby and sensor to work I will definitely go for that set up. I will not install a non-operable navigation screen - a major faux pas.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
No Problem...

Worst case is that you have to get a bit creative with some adhesive and a scalpel to swap the cubby/trim over, but I'm sure it will be fine... or get the clip-in cubby box - either way, there is a solution!

The Nav screens can be worth a bit if it still works - might be able to sell that on and cover the cost of the cubby box!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Just talked to the salvage yard. The guy insists that I will not be able to use the wood with my existing cubby and cabin sensor. That seems to conflict with Carl's experience, which I am prone to favor. I guess I will risk it.

Thanks for those links, Marty. If I can't get my existing cubby and sensor to work I will definitely go for that set up. I will not install a non-operable navigation screen - a major faux pas.
It fits. I put an '01 woodgrain unit in the '98. Sensor, dash switches, etc, all fit it completely fine.

The cubby does not snap out of your current one though, it's a part that you must order. Scotty ran into that issue with his Callaway when he was rebuilding it. Part number FHM100320LNF.

Also BPUtah still sells the genuine land rover wood kit. It has wood for the instrument cluster, hvac display, radio trim, and window switch. IIRC it's $600.

I'd say your best bet is to piece together genuine wood trim pieces from eBay, salvage yards etc. Might take a while to find them at decent prices, but it's not like you need them right away!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone know a source for a wooden auto gear selector ?.
I saw a carbon fibre one for a staggering £110 8-0=

1 - 19 of 19 Posts