RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends, I am new on this forum. I have recently purchased a 1997 Range Rover with the BMW 2.5 diesel engine (M51). Everything works and the car runs like a dream, apart from one problem. When the car has been standing overnight and I pull away and accelerate from a cold start, there is a tapping sound under the hood. This sound disappears after a few kilometers when the engine becomes warm. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the BMW diesel engine, but assuming that it is similar to Rover V8 engine, it might simply be the sound of hydraulic lifter.

Hydraulic lifter for the valves take a bit of time to build up oil pressure, so from a cold start you'll hear the tapping sound. However, the sound goes away once the oil pressure builds up.

If the sounds stay for an extended period of time, first thing I would check would be the oil level.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,410 Posts
More than likely one of the hydraulic tappets. I get it on my 2000 MY diesel until it warms up. What oil are you running it on? The book says semi synthetic.

I ran mine for a while on a thinner fully synthetic oil and it was noisier so I switched back to semi synthetic. I don't think the hydraulic tappets pump up as quick.

If the engine has done a very high mileage it could be something else. Piston slap maybe or a crankshaft bearing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts