RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the dreaded tapping is back.

Previously i thought it was a bad lifter, have swapped them out. Tapping is still there.
Possibility that the camshaft is moving from side to side, making the noise, but i'm hoping thats not the case.
It also appears that i may have a cracked exhaust manifold (hissing noise, and can hear the valves), would that have anything to do with the tapping?

The tapping is proportional to engine speed (about 7 times a second at idle, speeds up as rpm increases, but disappears at higher rpm - over 2k)

It also only appears once the engine has warmed up, from a cold start there are no noises.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mine has a leaky manifold. It ticks under load, but sounds normal when at idle. Unless I get paranoid and mistake the noise of normal operation as a "problem" :D . Ticks can be caused for a number of reasons. It could still be that your lifters aren't getting enough oil even though they are new. Although, I tend to agree with shupack, most likely the manifold.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the shop do a oil pressure check, all fine.

Hopefully its just the manifold. It won't cause any damage just driving around will it? Ill get it swapped if/when I get the exhaust done.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
128 Posts
"The tapping is proportional to engine speed (about 7 times a second at idle, speeds up as rpm increases, but disappears at higher rpm - over 2k)

It also only appears once the engine has warmed up, from a cold start there are no noises."

I had the same type of issue with my 96 4.6. The oil had not been changed for a good 30K miles by the look of it so did an oil change as soon as I got the car.
Then the noise started, and got so bad you would have thought it was an oil burner!

So I took the rocker arms off, one set was starved of oil so much that the rocker on cilinder 2 was stuck fast.
Turned out that the new oil had dislodged lots of gunk and that had blocked up the oil ways to the rocker shaft.
I ended up taking the oil pan off to clean out all the gunk, lots of it too, and also the timing chain cover which was so full of gunk I ended up replacing the chain and gears.
The oil pump was just as bad, so did that too.

So I now had what I thought was a clean engine, put two new rocker shafts and all new lifters on, filled up with oil..........no noise :D

I had a good look at the old rockers a few days later and found that the rocker that was stuck was now ok, so it would only get stuck when hot, two types of metal, different expantion rates I guess.

After 400 miles I looked at the dip stick and the oil was black again, so not as clean an engine as I thought, took three more oil changes to flush all the muck out in the end.

SID.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
SID said:
After 400 miles I looked at the dip stick and the oil was black again, so not as clean an engine as I thought, took three more oil changes to flush all the muck out in the end.

SID.
a quart of ATF about 500 miles before changing will work wonders for a dirty engine. If it's bad, start with 1/2 qt so you don't free up too much gunk at once (as above..)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thats amazing the rover ran 30k miles on one oil change :shock: . Be careful with the ATF or any engine flushing agent. On one of my cars I did free up to much gunk and actually caused a ticking noise, as a result of a lifter getting clogged by debris :oops: . I ended up continuing the use of the additive until the whole engine was spotless (took awhile) and the ticking noise is still there but considerably less :) .

·
Registered
344 Posts
what additive did you use? i have been playing around with the idea of doing a full flush as i'm at 98k miles, but I didnt know what issues i could cause, and what the process entailed. I thought I could just drop the oil pan once I flushed it, but I've held off. this whole lifter tick being caused by a motor flush is making me nervous...should i be?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would be a bit nervous, just enough anxiety so you don't make a stupid move :wink: . I used marvels mystery oil "MMO", many of my friends recommended it, and it seemed to be less aggressive than ATF and Seafoam. More of a progressive cleaner that you run in your oil for a couple hundred miles, that does not do a shock and aw on your system. The vehicle I worked on was a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe (my daily driver), which are notorious for developing ticking noises due to their crappy lifter design (they made the oil hole too small, and it easily cloggs). I ended up putting some MMO in (about 1 and 1/2 cups) the oil. Then put some MMO in the gasoline with a fresh tank of 93 octane (its rated for 87). I drove it 300 miles on the oil change and let it sit in there for a week. The ticking noise gradually subsided. The bottle says leave it in there until its time to change the oil again, of course they'd say that 8) . I changed the oil when it hit 300 miles (EXTREMELY BLACK) and I've never heard the engine run so smooth, sounded better than when it was new. Still sounds great a couple thousand miles later.

In your situation, I would use very little additive, and progressively flush the engine at every oil change. I will be doing this to my rover here shortly. I plan on using the same amount of additive, but only keeping it in there for 150 miles instead of 300. I will do this right before I change the oil, and about 5 times in a row, or at least until things start to shape up. After things start to sound better, I will probably drop the pan and clean out all of the gunk that is remaining.

·
Registered
128 Posts
lrscott said:
Thats amazing the rover ran 30k miles on one oil change :shock: . Be careful with the ATF or any engine flushing agent. On one of my cars I did free up to much gunk and actually caused a ticking noise, as a result of a lifter getting clogged by debris :oops: . I ended up continuing the use of the additive until the whole engine was spotless (took awhile) and the ticking noise is still there but considerably less :) .
Yep 30K dose seem amazing, just a guess on my part as last entry in service book was at 92k and I got it two years on from a guy who seemed to have done nothing to it exept drive, it had 124K then.
Looking back I dont remember the ticking when I first had It, so just the new oil with its detergents was enough to dislodge the gunk. In hindsight I would have cleand out the oil pan before puting new oil in, also would do the rocker covrs, they are a good indictor as to how much rubbish is in the system.

SID.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts