RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 1996 4.0 Rangie had a tangle with a street light on xmas day after then the following is what is happening.

Central Lock doesnt work anymore
Power windows for both front windows doesn't work anymore
Cant see anything on the instrument pack at night though the instruments are functioning fine as can be seen in daylight.
Hevac screen doesnt show any temperature figures or anything at all. Its just blank.

What do I do to clear this.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing folks, There is no response on the memory seats also.Cant adjust it in any direction.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Any filament bulb could have broken the filament as a result of the impact shock.
Similarly, any connector that wasn't positively locked in place could have been shaken loose. (Most push fit electrical connectors on the 38A have a latching mechanism in the plug / socket casings, so you 'know' when they are made, but the electrical connections can be made before the latch clicks.).
Either of these could account for lights failing, the single bulb in the HEVAC backlight, or the multiple bulbs in the instrument pack.

Failure of Power windows and Central locking may be down to damage to a door outstation. Where was the impact on the car?
Alternatively it could be a loose connection in the centre console. There is only a single plug there, so do any of those buttons work (mirrors, sunroof)?

Obviously, damage due to an accident is not something that can be documented. So in the final analysis you just have to get the diagrams out and trace the circuit. The normal practice is to break into the 'middle' of the circuit and establish if the circuit works as far as the test point, then jump one way or the other. Knowing the actual accident damage may influence the exact point you use as your break in point.

The other guidance criteria are ease of access, and known weak points.
For instance, accessing the centre console is easy, so checking there is a logical first step, as the check either finds the fault, or eliminates the console as the source.
The wiring connection in the A pillar is a known weak spot, so it's worth checking that in itself, but also as it gives an opportunity to prove the fault into the door, or out of it.
For the HEVAC the bulb is the obvious weak spot, so although it is not easy to access it would be my first port of call.
I don't know the memory circuits, so can't offer guidance there.

HTH

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thks Chas

The impact was on the right front of the car.Lost the right headlight and signal light and the front bumper.
The sunroof and back sit windows work fine and and can still be controlled from the centre console.
By-passing the fuse and connecting the motor for the windscreen directly to the Batery got the windscreen up.
Where is the A-PILLER located.
The Hevac lights still come on but shows a blank screen.
The door station was checked and found to be ok

·
Registered
217 Posts
How about some pics to show us this tangle with a lamp pole? That doesn't sound good. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
701 Posts
It might not be getting enough power in certain parts of the vehicle, and a ground might have gotten loose. I noticed mine ran out of juice today after it had sat for a week. I turned the key to the II position. Everything came on, I turned the park lights on and noticed that the instrument lights would shut off and the hvac screen would go blank but was still lit up, when the battery started to go flat. Don't know if this helps, just figured I would share. I hope the tangle wasn't bad...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Edable said:
Thks Chas

The impact was on the right front of the car.Lost the right headlight and signal light and the front bumper.
The sunroof and back sit windows work fine and and can still be controlled from the centre console.
By-passing the fuse and connecting the motor for the windscreen directly to the Batery got the windscreen up.
Where is the A-PILLER located.
The Hevac lights still come on but shows a blank screen.
The door station was checked and found to be ok
The A pillar is the one the front door hinges off, it runs from roof to sill (floor).
Look where the wiring from the door goes into the pillar. Inside the pillar the wiring goes down towards the floor. There is enough slack for you to remove the grommet where the wiring goes into the pillar and lift the harness connector through the hole. If for any reason the connector separates and one end drops down into the pillar it can be 'interesting' to recover. The wires in this connector can corrode.

"the motor for the windscreen "
I don't understand this. The windscreen is the glass in front of the driver, it is not motorised.

"The Hevac lights still come on but shows a blank screen."
Yes, quite possible. The Hevac buttons have their own bulbs, the screen has a separate single bulb that shines through a changeable mask to give the numbers. There is a detailed section on the main Rangerovers.net site covering all these bulbs.

HTH

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Viperover, The message board keeps on giving fuse failure(fuse 8,9,10 22).And we have changed and checked and is still not working.what do we next?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

You might want to look up in your RAVE ETM if the circuits from the fuses that you mentioned do have the same ground.

From what I read there is no closed circuit which is detected by the BECM triggering the messages of fuse failures. It can also be a loose connector, loose or coroded earth wires.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Folks,

Finally got it to work, problem was one of the max fuses in the engine compact fuse boxes not sending any current to those parts.Thank u all for ur input

1 - 11 of 11 Posts