RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the market for a nicer suv for the wifey to just drive around town and take the kids to school and whatnot.

i ran across this P38 and of course have a couple questions. of course im aware that with crappy maintenance and not very good tlc that these are money pits. i've been reading the forums for a week or so and see that there are common problems with these rovers. as you can see in the ad the water pump/heater core/radiator have been replaced. he said the previous owner was the one that did it but he doesn't have any records for it.

another thing that gets me is the pricing. i know kbb is not known for its accurate prices, but he looks to have it about $1500 over book. what am i missing in the price or is that a fair value?

any more info would be greatly appreciated. i know better than to buy without getting all the info on it first!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice example from the ad. Though I'd never touch a castrated one.

It's a very fair price in my opinion. Here in CO, it's hard to find an '01 or '02 for less than 7k.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Are you mechanically inclined? If not, run away. You will pay twice the asking price in maintenance if you can't work on it yourself.

That being said, I have no major issues with mine but I stay on top of all maintenance items and any little thing that may creep up. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. Keep reading. There are a few 'buyers guides' so use the search function and read them before you go see the truck.

As far as price, it sounds reasonable depending on the condition. He'll probably take around 5k for it but understand pricing has no bearing on the actual condition of the vehicle until you see it yourself. I got mine for thousands less than others I saw and yet it was thousands of dollars better than the others. Look and drive a few before you commit.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I agree with all that's been said and would just add that in my opinion for normal use ....ie wife,kids,shops and all that I wouldn't,t buy one without air suspension...easier access and egress,better for loading and unloading.....and most importantly very comfortable.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Test drive as many as you can, just because it's a late one means nothing. Being on coils, to me, shows that the owner took the easier way around problems..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys. but after pulling the autocheck it came back with a score of 54 (similar scores range from 60-83) and an odometer problem. he says its from a past owner who checked the wrong box on the title. so who really knows the full story.

and yeah im a little mechanically inclined spike! unless its inside the engine/tranny, then im clueless. but i can hold my own with a wrench. i do some minor work on my 09 jetta tdi so im not a stranger to foreign cars :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts