RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a 2006 S/C with 153k mi. Haven't looked or driven it yet, but talking to the (single) owner, it seems like it's been taken care of very well, and recently a number of big ticket items have been replaced, namely transmission, cooling system refresh, brakes all around and general tuneup. Price seems to be decent as well, he's mentioned $7,500 as out-the-door, but I'm sure I can get it down lower than that.
My main question is about the model year. I've heard that 2006 being the first model year, there's a mix of parts/electronics/technologies that were carried over from BMW era into the FoMoCo ownership, and these things are a nightmare to diagnose/work on because of this. Is it true?
Also, I'm not super familiar with these engines, but is it correct to assume that they don't have the timing chain/guide issues found in earlier/later L322s and don't have variable timing (VANOS) and therefore are immune from those as well? Any especially weak spots to watch out for on these? I'm well-aware of the general L322 ailments.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
610 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a 2006 S/C with 153k mi. Haven't looked or driven it yet, but talking to the (single) owner, it seems like it's been taken care of very well, and recently a number of big ticket items have been replaced, namely transmission, cooling system refresh, brakes all around and general tuneup. Price seems to be decent as well, he's mentioned $7,500 as out-the-door, but I'm sure I can get it down lower than that.
My main question is about the model year. I've heard that 2006 being the first model year, there's a mix of parts/electronics/technologies that were carried over from BMW era into the FoMoCo ownership, and these things are a nightmare to diagnose/work on because of this. Is it true?
Also, I'm not super familiar with these engines, but is it correct to assume that they don't have the timing chain/guide issues found in earlier/later L322s and don't have variable timing (VANOS) and therefore are immune from those as well? Any especially weak spots to watch out for on these? I'm well-aware of the general L322 ailments.
Many thanks!
dont buy
go for 2009 4.2sc

4.2 engine is mega reliable but 2006 model has too much provlems

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,148 Posts
There is a mix of parts in it, and it has some old features and new features. Mine is up to 199K miles and I've had no real issues with it, I do keep up with most stuff although I will admit to it needing the diff fluids changed. My engine is a quiet as the day I bought it at 113K, doesn't use a drop of oil, trannys fine, front suspension could probably do with a good going over, but thats all maintenance items. The newer ones are going to be nicer, but around MA you going to be looking at over 12 to 14K for an 09, more for lower mileage vehicles. If I was upgrading I'd be going for an 11 or 12, otherwise I would be driving essentially the same vehicle with just a little bit better integration and some more comfortable seats. Is 7500 a good price for one with 158K miles, maybe but it would practically have to be perfect, and be loaded with all the options, including rear seat entertainment.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
The 2006 was mash up of BMW systems and Ford systems. It was the illegitimate child of parents not married... the B**t**d year between full BMW and Full Ford tech. apologies, but there is no other way to explain the 2006 model year. There few after market sound system upgrade options produced for the 2006

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback and will pass on this one. I'll keep my eyes on 2009 version, NA or S/C.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts