RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a P38 and it was good to me for the most part. Now that I've been without a Rover for a while, I was thinking about getting back into one.
How much of a deal breaker is this: a 2006 HSE with 110k, no service records, but has a P0960 code (trans limp mode because of sensor) and the MIL light because of it. The tires need replacing, there is a squeaking from under the hood you can hear pretty clearly at idle that I assume is a tensioner or alternator wearing itself out. It's straight, the interior isn't torn up outside of the usual wear on the center console and plastic seat surrounds having cracks. It looks like it's been enjoyed.
I can get it for somewhere between 2.5 and 3k. With the low miles, is the trans issue still too risky at that price? I just don't want to be upside down in its value before I even get a chance to drive it...

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
18 Posts
And those are just the issues you know about!! No service record is different to never been serviced. I would be cautious of buying one without any idea of how it has been maintained. One thing I’ve learnt over the years is that the L322 needs regular attention just to keep on top on things and repairs can be expensive. If you know a trusted Indy I would suggest you get them to look at it before parting with you cash.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The engine alone is worth the price of the whole vehicle easily if you had to part it out. Assuming you have the ability to yank the engine without the neighbors calling the cops or the wife/girlfriend getting PO'ed at you. As long as you're not going to call it your daily driver till the transmission issued get sorted out you could hardly go wrong at those prices.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the huge question is what is the best case to worst case scenario of the sensor error in the trans? I've read a few similar posts about that error code being triggered by bad/broken/missing ground straps, and one just being low on ATF. These are best case fixes, but is it really possible that a trans would have to be completely replaced? If that is a big possibility, I think I would opt out. If it's more likely something that is a matter of the best case up to replacing the sensor group at around $600, I could be talked into it. Please talk me out of it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You have a pressure Solenoid 3 (EPRS 1) circuit code. (could be an open, short, high or low fault) Best case is its a bad connection at the electrical connector going into the transmission, worst case its a bad Mechatronic unit. Most likely its a failed solenoid on the back of the mechatronic unit. Not a horrible job, or all that expensive. Could also be broken wire somewhere in the internal harness between the solenoids and the mechatronic unit, as well. Won't know till your into it.

Video is for a ZF6HP19 but it similar to your issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO01ci7Bfa4

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The faulted solenoid on yours (EPRS1) would be the one directly below the electrical connector that passes thru the transmission case.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The faulted solenoid on yours (EPRS1) would be the one directly below the electrical connector that passes thru the transmission case.
Do you know of a source that has the solenoid available individually, instead of the whole "kit"? Also those rubber plugs that he replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Engine may be worth the price of the truck.. but there is no market for them, the 4.4s are "too" reliable..

For a single solenoid, there's plenty of people on eBay that sell them. Message a few and ask if they'd be willing to sell just one.

Never hurts to ask.

Some of the Lincoln Navigators also had the 6HP-26. Find a parts yard and ask for the whole solenoid pack, larger places may only charge say $50.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sounds like you like a challenge and a good deal does not hurt. I asked around at an Afghan windshield shop that did my van windshield nicely, got a trusted bodyshop owner who knew an independent trans mechanic. While not a perfect outcome, the tranny was repaired and i developed a friendship with some real people in the auto repair business. So hop to it and keep us posted. It would be nice to let someone look at it who had a feel for it.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts