RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering selling my 96 p38 and buying a 2004 Disco2. I know they have some problems too. I'm getting to know my truck inside and out and I'm not looking forward to learning a new vehicle but with 182000 on the odometer I'm just waiting for something big to break.

Anyone here have any experience with the discos?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
Don't buy a Disco :)
Are you easily influenced.... ?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
They are worlds apart and need to do what is right for you for your lifestyle and needs. I have driven various discos and won't ever buy one. For me they are cramped, uncomfortable and awkward. On the plus side there are more accessories available.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm going to test drive one before I consider it any further.

The 2004 discos have a center locking differential and it sounds fairly interesting. It sounds like they are even more capable than the p38s. Plus there is a lot bigger aftermarket with the disco.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Would a D2 no matter how many accessories you bolt to it look this cool?? I agree with RRTH they are cramped, we use one daily at work and I had the opportunity to buy an 02 with 80k and fully loaded 6 months ago I chose the RR it's just in a different league for me.

20160213.jpg

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have to say if you choose the D2, an 04 is the best year.

I like my RR. I like like my Disco 1. They are different beast. If I was told I had to get rid of one, I don't know at this point which one I would save. My D1 is less complex that's for sure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
One of my favorite features of the P38 is the comfortable seats. You lose that with a D2, they are tighter and cheaper feeling. Somehow, they feel less stable on the road even though I'm fairly certain that's just a feeling. If seating for more people is important and you are a small person, maybe you will like the D2. Drive it for your own take on it but I would never consider a D2. As for the locking center diff, that is used instead of the viscous coupling. Maybe that sounds more capable but I haven't ever found the combination of viscous lock and traction control to be lacking in any way. Maybe if you were setting up a rock crawler things would be different.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When making your choice, remember that rust never sleeps!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Owned both.
Wont have another D2 - too small for my (ahem) ample frame, too short a wheel base (I feel them pitching forward and aft), gutless (compared to 4.6l),

Thinks I did like.......HDC, seven seats (if you have young un's) and errrrrm....... well that's about it.

Mine let me down BADLY on an interstate visit and it cost AU$5500 to recover the vehicle home. (even after a LR dealer had it for two weeks) - Major electrical meltdown.

No, stick with my possessed P38a thanks.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,218 Posts
I can't say how true it is as I've never owned a Disco (and never will! - I like the P38 too much), but I am sure I was reading an article about the D2 chassis and that it was coated on the outside for rust prevention, but there have been a few owners that have been offroading, so the chassis gets water/muck in the holes - and then the holes plug up over time and the chassis basically rots itself from the inside out. Unlike the P38 chassis which was apparently dipped at the factory so both the inside and outside of the chassis were rust-proofed.

Something else to consider checking when buying one - I am sure there was someone near me who bought a stunning looking D2, only to be told when he took it in for work or an MOT or something that the chassis was completely rotten at the back because it had rusted away from the inside out!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I started the LR thing with a 99 Disco II and owned it for 3 years prior to buying my 2002 HS last Summer. I'm 6'3" and I always felt cramped in the Cabin. I didn't mind the ride and liked the 7 seats with the jumpers. Never had any problem towing my boat either but I never felt comfortable taking it on long journeys. I hated the non existent power trying to get up mountain passes here in Colorado. I also had a never ending 3 amigos problem, had to replace the tranny, the transfer case ( what fun) the drive shafts ( upgrade) and many other items. I do think they are easier to work on and maybe a better entry into the scene if you find one cheap to tinker with and keep for short trips .
I like the room , look and comfort so far from the HSE although I still have a long way to go in my restoration and it certainly hasn't been without any issues!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Something else to consider checking when buying one - I am sure there was someone near me who bought a stunning looking D2, only to be told when he took it in for work or an MOT or something that the chassis was completely rotten at the back because it had rusted away from the inside out!
We have had 2 D2's at work the first one failed the MOT on a rotten chassis and the current one is starting to look a bit scabby both 1999 models, the 04 might have been better protected.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think I've got the job covered.

The d2 is based on the RR Classic Chassis. Dad used to have a mint 91 RR Classic and I hated towing with it. All over the road and that was only with my boat. With a caravan, what a pig. My p38s eat it. The d2 chassis is 1960's design.

I wouldn't even look at a d2!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been in the position to snap up a D2 and seeing my friends using theirs offroad and how capable they are I must admit.I was tempted.

Then I spent a laning day out in one and.....that made my mind up.

The comfort and ease of driving the P38 is highlighted by the constant discomfort and challenge of the D2.

It needs more right foot to do what the P38 does on incredibly low revs.
Gutless and horrible on long journeys too.

My V8 powered armchair will stay with me for a long time even with its problems.

However that's just my POV.

That said....don't do it :wink:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
535 Posts
I got my wife a 2000 Disco 2 and I didn't mind it. Compared to the comfort of the P38 it did not even come close. Also don't try overtaking unless you have a couple of miles clear road. Even with the revs screaming it is pretty gutless. Towing my boat was an expensive journey with the Disco while my P38 didn't even notice it back there. Final nail in the coffin was frame rot. I got rid of it after my mechanic advised me the frame was almost shot.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
The Discovery 2 actually has a chassis that is somewhere in between a Classic and a P38a. It was the original Discovery that used a Classic chassis, the D2 has a lot of modifications, including different trailing arms and axles resembling (but not identical) to those of a P38a.

I personally don't like the D2, mostly because of the looks, but also because the driving experience is not on the same level as the P38a.
They do have a lot of strong points though: the TD5 diesel is much better then the BMW diesel, V8s come in the same 4.0 and 4.6 Bosch version as in the P38a. The LT230 transfer box in the D2 is more robust than the Borg Warner (no chain to stretch), has the manual low/high selection (to allow shifting on the fly, unlike the cumbersome and vulnerable electronic control in the P38a) and some have a manual difflock (not a big advantage, but more manual control is always better IMHO). Without the difflock the offroad ability does suffer. The D2 also offers a lot more space for passengers and cargo (upto palletsize), if not for the driver.
So the D2 can make an excellent workhorse, if you want the Range Rover experience, you'll have to stick to a Range Rover.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've got some experience now with both.

The discovery feels more nimble. Inside it is lacking in the over all coziness that the P38 provides.
Offroad I can't speak for the P38 as I have no taken her anywhere yet. BUT, the DII was amazing. I got water over the hood, climbed very steep inclines, did major articulation and she drove home as smooth as on her drive there and this was all done stock with stock tires.

The DII also has that classic safari vehicle look with that back window and its already got the spare mounted in the right place. I've never had a problem with my AC/heater going on and its at around 120k model year 2001. Everything power still works. Nothing has ever broken other than the driver side window regulator. Other than that everything works. I love the DII and would stand by it any day and if I had to choose between the 2......I'd probably pic the DII stock for stock.

Lets see if this P38 can impress me as much. I'm sure it will not fail.

edit: At the end of the day though, you just have to drive it and see if it does for you what any vehicle should, which is make you smile and feel safe and confident. I've no doubt it will do this. It is a Land Rover.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts