RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else thoroughly miffed at the poor design of the rear top tailgate? I've had both a genuine and aluminium tailgate on my LSE and I've lost count at the amount of times its partially opened (one latch released) or fully opened usually on a busy road or an area that it is impossible to stop in. I have dismantled them, re-assembled them, adjusted, re-adjusted and adjusted again the latches, frame, top hinges, button and handle and still it pops open as and when. I've seen better built tractor cabs from the 70's! Some would say remove the struts, others put a bungee down to the towbar but I believe as its there, it should work. I also have had to stop taking my dog in the back, i'd never forgive myself if it opened with her in the back.
Am I moaning about nothing, am I doing something drastically wrong or are there others like me, constantly expecting the interior light to come on at any moment coupled with a breath fresh air/exhaust gas mix?

·
Registered
199 Posts
:lol: I was thinking the exact same thing as i drove along yesterday (stopping several times to press the hatch back down) I will let you know if I find a fix. That is if I am not gassed first.

:pray:

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
I too had no end of problems, which seem to be related to wear in the latch mechanism. I replaced both sides with new ones (part numbers MXC8421 and MXC8420) for about £15. Since then, I've had no problems at all. The handle and rest of the mechanism is still the same as before so it must have been something wearing out on the latches (not really surprising after 20 years!)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Noticed on mine that the frame is slightly bowed from age, which is not helping matters. Rather than fork out for the new aluminum tailgate and latches, I mounted by bike carrier on the back. It keeps pressure on the rear window so the hatch doesn't open itself. A simple and not altogether ugly fix.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, glad I'm not alone on this one! I have one new latch and one nearly new latch which incidentally is the one that always opens first. I'll replace that one and see how I get on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts