RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Urgent help required here gents. I am on my annual holidays and I cant get the tailgate to open. Slightly inconvenient with all the gear still in the back of the vehicle let alone not being able to open the tailgate to pack up to go home. I am assuming its down to a dodgy tailgate switch but how do I get the tailgate open in the meantime. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unlikely to be the tailgate switch. Power to the talgate switch is routed via the drivers door lock (RHS in the UK). The connector can come away from its attachement on the door frame and gets caught by the window which pulls the plug out. I'd suggest removing the door card on the RHS front door and checking there first.

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi i have this problem infrequently and all i do now is push hard around the button area on the tail gate and it seems to work its as if it has jammed on the catch maybe needs a slight adjustment you can only try works for don,t kn ow why but it does

nelly

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gents, thanks for your prompt replies. I have managed to get the tailgate open at last. On closer examination it appears as though the connector into to the switch had come astray. PERSISTENCE in operating the switch a little bit of penetrating fluid and some gentle persuasion seems to have done the trick to finally get it open.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I,ve got the same problem. Got in via the back seats. The switch is a on/off switch. Removed the connector, put a wire across the two pins and tailgate open. I then removed the switch took it apart and found that the micro switch was not working.
My thing now is that you connot replace the micro switch, you have to buy the whole button, £50.00. The micro switch alone would be a lot less.
I am running at the moment with a wire from the connector to behind the rear seats, saves the climb into the boot to open it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi to All, Paulr re-micro switch most electronic shops sell a selection of micro switches as i dont know where in the world you are i can not advise where to go but if in the uk try Maplins Best regards sillyboy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi just cured this on going intermitent problem had to price of the tailgate carpet gently enough to get my hand in and manually trigger the hatch release then the tailgate once i could get at the soleniond and tested the feed was ok it was still being intermittent so took the motor out and just widened the contact points out slightly with it being a tighter fit and better contact this has cured the problem expense 0 time about 15 mins no how much would the rr stealer of charged for that .
also had an intermittent fault on passenger side front electric window just took the switch assembly out removed the cover to the pcb squit of wd40 on the switch cured that as well .
and again had battery drain becm not going to sleep red light staying dimmly on went through everything i thought it might be to no avail then thanks to this forum and a quick search someone pointed toards the micro switches on the door lock and because i had been having troble with remote and had to use key entry in the past had a look all i did was squit wd40 into lock then vigourously worked the lock with the key locked car on remote waited 2 minutes red light out completly no further problems also the suspension does not drop like it used to into access mode which as **** annoying .again what looked and probably could have been expensive at a stealer with alittle time and patience cost nothing hope this helps someone else .by the way for those having probs with remote not opening i,ve found if you toggle the 2 buttons together at the same time it will unlock although on occasions it takes a few attemps must get that fob repaired. :thumb:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hello
I had the same problem.
I made a simple mechanical tailgate opener.
you pull a button inside the car
can send you photographs
it is the end of an embarassing problem
Hi,
can you show me how to wire that sw?

rgds

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi,
I had a similar problem with mine, turned out to be a very bad corroded spring which had collapsed and broken pieces had fallen in and stopped the button fully engaging the micro switches. Cleaned it all out found some simillar thickness wire coiled it up to make a new spring and re-assembled, and good as new, button returns properly everytime now. Job well done me thinks..

Alan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I think I found the same issue with my 96. The button has functionality, but you have to hold it for around 8 secs. I'm going to clean it out, because I believe the connections are corroded.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm having this problem on my '98. The solenoid is working as I can open the liftgate, but the tailgate will not release. Is this a mechanical or electrical issue?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Probably both: When the button is pushed a second time to release the tailgate, the solenoid causes a cross-shaped bracket which is attached to 2 rods, to swivel . When the bracket swivels, it pulls the rods inwards just a few mm. thereby releasing the catches on each side. The rods can become detached from the bracket. Remove the carpet panel from the tailgate and gently pull the rods towards the centre of the tailgate. This should release it. Check to see if the rods move when the button is pressed. If the bracket does not move then there's possibly a problem with the microswitch which is buried inside the tailgate under the solenoid/bracket mechanism. Alternatively, detach the rods from the bracket by lifting them slightly and popping them out of their plastic retainer.Then operate the button again. If the bracket swivels OK by itself without any load from the rods, then the outer latches may be clagged up with rubbish and need to be freed up. Once you think you've got it going OK, lock the latches with the stem of a screw driver and see if they open when you push the button. If it all works and then fails when you close the tailgate, it's possible the U-shaped catches on body have somehow moved and need to be reset. The tailgate should not need to be "slammed" in order to close properly. Also. don't forget to remove the button and clean up the contacts, it can get water/dust etc in it which can cause it to corrode. Sorry for the long post! (Yep, took me 6 months of frustration to finally sort it, even to the extent of ultimately refashioning a wire coathanger as a substitute rod...discovered that the original had worn 3mm and that was enough to preclude the lock operating properly...but it took 4 coathangers to finally get it right!!! )

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the great reply. I finally had the chance to explore the problem and found that the problem was a sticky liftgate latch. When closing the tailgate without then closing the liftgate, the tailgate reopened with ease. However, the tailgate would fail to open after the liftgate was closed. It turned out that the liftgate latch would not entirely release, which was hanging up the tailgate latch. A touch of lube and now it all works fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the thread, problem solved without even raising the question... One small trick for other parts of the World like us, where we have LHD Rovers, the micro-switch is still inside the Right Front Door...

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you press your exterior tailgate release button and it doesnt open try the following:

1.Climb into load space area and locate the three plastic screws at bottom of tailgate which are holding the tailgate carpeting in place. (This is a very awkward task due to a plastic trim flap that is partially covering them when lift gate is closed).
2. You will need to remove this carpeted panel from tailgate by prying it from one of the top corners. Takes a bit of effort to do.
3. Once carpeted panel is removed there is a locking mechanism in the center which by moving one of the levers will release the lift gate. You will be able to release the tailgate by moving one of the other levers in sight. I did a trial and error here on the latche release levers with no ill effect but I’m sure the exact procedure is located on the web or RAVE.
4. Get a multi meter and test to see if power is getting to the tailgate release button. If you are then go to step 5. If not, then this troubleshooting is not for you.
5. As you stand at rear of vehicle facing forward, on the left side of tailgate you will see the latch actuator. In the center you will find the latching mechanism. Locate the rod running from the actuator to the center latching mechanism. The rod from actuator to latching mechanism will need to be disconnected at the latch. There is a black plastic fitting that can be unclipped just by lifting it with a flat head screw driver. Lift the rod from the latch.
6. Unscrew the 3 Phillips screws holding the actuator in place and slide the actuator and rod out.
7. Disconnect the multiplug from actuator. After about 3 minutes put the plug back in and press the tailgate button. I found when I did this that the actuator worked so I knew the issue was with the actuator. Mine worked for three presses of tailgate button then stopped again. I pulled plug and let sit then reset plug and worked again. At this stage I surmised that it was a binding issue.
8. Remove the two torx screws holding the metal plate to the actuator.
9. Remove the 4 Phillips screws holding actuator together
10. Peel back rubber shroud from actuator rod and separate the two sides of actuator.
11. Apply white grease to the gears and drive shaft then reassemble.
12. Screw the 4 Phillips screws back and test

Seems that if there is a binding in mechanism that the motor will lock out and once you fix the binding the issue is resolved. The interior of my actuator had dried white grease on its gears and once regreased has been working for months. Hardest part is removing the carpeted panel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I press the hatch release button, the hatch lock releases but the hatch does not go up? I can open the hatch manually once the lock releases and it closes normally by just pushing the button. Occasionally it all works normally, but most of the time I have to lift the hatch manually. It may just be a failing lift actuator but I’d like troubleshoot further before purchasing a new actuator. 2014 Range Rover Evoque Pure Premium

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
EvoqueMe2014
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing