RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just got a 1998 4.0 se rangerover but the tailgate will not open also the fuel flap doesn't lock can someone other any advice

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi new owner

You have to give us some more info. Are both top and bottom closed any won´t any of them open? Is there any sound when pressing the button of the tail gate?? (You should normally hear a click) If no click search for the fault from the right fwd door lock and search on this forum how. There have lots of people who have had problems with the opening of the tail gate.

The fuel flap locks behind a flimsy plastic catch. There is a small bolt under this catch that you can use to loosen and adjust the position so that it will catch when you press it close.

Good luck

Jos

·
Registered
284 Posts
try manually unlocking the front passenger side door lock. my 98 rear hatch will not open up unless the front passenger side door lock is unlocked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank for your advice stripped down tailgate and found lock had stuck freed it off by hand and now all seems to be ok although fuel flap i still cant get to work there seems to be 12v on the lock terminals all the time and pressing the release button has no effect

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

The button to open the fuel flap is of a lousy construction and fails frequently especially when pressed hard. At the bottom the assembly is held together with two small plastic tabs that tend to break making you push the internals of the switch out of the plastic casing.

To investigate:
Remove the panel under the dashboard at the driver side. (4 screws) and two screws into the dash plastic suround.
Now the plastic surround is loose at the bottom. Now there are two small screws that hold it in place at the top. Remove those as well. For this you need a stubby philips screw driver. If you are afraid to damge the plastic from the controls cover it before you start.
Now the suround is free if I am not mistaken and can be moved. It is possible that there is anither screw close to the main beam light switch but if it is there in my car that is broken. Now move the plastic so that you can see the switch.
Is the bottom part intact??? It could be that it is broken and continuously short the connections causing the flap to remain open.
A quick fix could be to disconnect a wire from the actuator located behind the RH panel in the trunk.

Best regards

Jos

1 - 5 of 5 Posts