RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tailgate will not open. Problem was intermittent for a month or so but now will not open at all. Is there a way to access the inside without tearing out the tailgate inside liner or is there something else to try . Also maybe connected to this problem is that the latches open and close themselves almost as if someone were using a FOB. I notice this usually at night (when things re quiet) but suspect it happens at other times as well. When it does happen the Passenger (Right) side door remains open thankfully.

Any help?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Re: Tailgate will not open and Locks go up and down 02 LHD rover

I would surgest (though my own problems) that the door lock is at fault. I'm not sure on a lhd version but uk models the rear lock works in conjuction with the drivers door lock. Maybe changing the drivers door lock will sort out both problems.
did for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts

I know this isn't much help, but I am having the exact same problem with my '02 HSE at 70K miles. It is currently intermittent for me, though.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

On a LHD the passenger lock controls the boot lock.
Guess how I know? :D

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Held the tailgate button for about two minutes and it opened. Removed the tailgate liner for now in the event the lock gets stuck again but hope someone can confirm the Passenger lock (LHD) should be replaced. I assume this can be found on British American web site. Does anyone know the approximate part cost?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
124 Posts

I have a 02 as well and I'm about at my wits end trying to fix the dreaded intermittent tailgate won't open problem. I had the right hand front door lock replaced by an independent repair shop and it's been working fine for about 2 weeks. Today it decides that the tailgate won't open.... sooo It's BACK. Grrr.

Any idea on how to test the new door lock actuator?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
54 Posts

Held the tailgate button for about two minutes and it opened. Removed the tailgate liner for now in the event the lock gets stuck again but hope someone can confirm the Passenger lock (LHD) should be replaced. I assume this can be found on British American web site. Does anyone know the approximate part cost?

Thanks for the feedback.
I will confirm that pressing and holding works! Just experienced the tailgate not opening this evening. I pressed and held the button for about 1 minute and it popped open as usual. I am also replacing the drive door latch next week.

This forum is a life saver. Thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
922 Posts

By holding the tailgate button down you are also overheating the circuit... Remove the inside panel on tailgate and check the connections on the microswitch. Also have a good look at the condition of the button itself ...they can become corroded and not make proper contact. A forum search using the Google facility will provide a lot of info on this :shock::naughty:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts