RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tailgate wont lock.
On my 1996 model Range Rover 4,6HSE p38, the rear tailgate will not lock.
When the vehicle is locked ( and also if it is super locked), I can still open the tailgate (both upper and lower) by pressing the tailgate button.

As far as I understand, the central locking is managed from the right front door.
I have tryed to disconnect C762R close to the right front door lock actuator, and locked the vehicle. Then I can not open the rear tailgate.
I have tryed to disconnect the left connector on the right front door outstation (think it is C758R). Same result, I can not open the rear tailgate.
This I think tells me that the tailgate button and the tailgate actuator is OK.

I can not read any error on the Outstation and not read any error in the BECM with my faultmate diagnostic.
Both front- and both rear-doors locks OK.

I have some questions:
1A- Do the right forntdoor outstation send 12 volt to the tailgate unlock switch, when the vehicle is unlocked. and no volt when the vehicle is locked ?
1B- or Do the right forntdoor outstation send ground connection to the tailgate unlock switch, when the vehicle is unlocked. and no ground connection when the vehicle is locked ?

2A- Do the BECM send 12 volt to the tailgate lock actuator, when the vehicle is unlocked. and no volt when the vehicle is locked ?
2B- or Do the BECM send ground connection to the tailgate lock actuator, when the vehicle is unlocked. and no ground connection when the vehicle is locked ?

3 or is something complete different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have worked a bit more, and a more acurate description of the situation and questions is here:

Tailgate wont lock.
On my 1996 model Range Rover 4,6HSE p38 LHD , the rear tailgate will not lock.
When the vehicle is locked ( and also if it is super locked), I can still open the tailgate (both upper and lower) by pressing the tailgate button.

As far as I understand, the central locking is managed from the right front door.
I have tryed to disconnect C762R close to the right front door lock actuator, and locked the vehicle. Then I can not open the rear tailgate.
I have tryed to disconnect the left connector on the right front door outstation (think it is C758R). Same result, I can not open the rear tailgate.
This I think tells me that the tailgate button and the tailgate actuator is OK.

I can not read any error on the Outstation and not read any error in the BECM with my faultmate diagnostic.
Both front- and both rear-doors locks OK.

I do have permanent 14 volt on the white cable in C818 which comes from the right front door , which is the S753 between the right front door sctuator and the right front door outstation.
(this when the doors is locked and when the doors is unlocked).

I have some questions:
1: Do the right frontdoor outstation control the tailgate button ?
If it does:
1A:
Do the right forntdoor outstation send 12 volt to the tailgate unlock switch, when the vehicle is unlocked. and no volt when the vehicle is locked ?

or
2: Do the right frontdoor lock actuator control the tailgate button ?
If it does:
2A: Do the right forntdoor lock actuator send 12 volt to the tailgate unlock switch, when the vehicle is unlocked. and no volt when the vehicle is locked ?

or
3:- Do the BECM control the tailgate lock actuator
If it does:
3A:
Do the BECM send 12 volt to the tailgate lock actuator, when the vehicle is unlocked. and no volt when the vehicle is locked ?
3B: or Do the BECM send ground connection to the tailgate lock actuator, when the vehicle is unlocked. and no ground connection when the vehicle is locked ?

I think, that the problem might be that the C.D.L Switch (1) in the right front door lock actuator do not work, but however the 2 front doors and the 2 rear doors do lock as they shall. It is only the tailgate, which do not lock.
so I can not realy figure out how it works.

The electric diagram is attached.

NB: My right front door lock actuator did die this winter in locked position, but did work again when the temperature has been a little higher for a period of 2 to 3 weeks.

3 or is something complete different. :?:

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
The only problems I've encountered with this problem is the lock itself, in other words it doesnt mechanically lock.

Replacing the lock on the lower tailgate solves the problem, Im wondering if the micro switch on yours isnt at fault...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello viperover

thank You for Your answer.

It seems to be me Right front door lock actuator, where the CDL switch do not work.

I have disconected the wire from the "Right front door lock actuator" to the rear tailgate button, and mouted a manual switch, so i can cut off poewer to the tailgate (so i can manually locked and unlock the tailgate).
This just temporarily until I get hold of a good secondhand "Right front door lock actuator".
NB: they are different according to VIN no. and RHD / LHD, see attached picture from partscatalog.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts