RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the car isn’t locked, the tailgate will randomly open. This has been consistent for about a month. It has never opened while driving. We’ve checked what we can, ensuring no obstructions.

I see a lot of posts about tailgates NOT opening... and I found one which was solved by the release switch, YUZ500020.

Anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,686 Posts
Have you adjusted the latch to close tighter so it doesn't pop open?

·
Registered
25 Posts
@jhawker23 Thanks for mentioning the new release switch. Any chance you could link to the thread that mentions the release switch fixing the problem?

@RRToadHall Referring to the workshop manual section "501-14: Liftgate Latch", it seems I can replace it but it's not entirely evident how one would go about adjusting it. Are you referring to the liftgate latch or the liftgate striker?

After looking at pictures, it looks like both have two bolts that can be tightened. Is that what you mean by adjustment?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Furthermore, I only see a "tailgate latch" associated with the tailgate window. JHawker23, is it your tailgate window or lower tailgate that randomly opens?

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW to anyone else reading this thread (with a tailgate that won't open like mine), I think YUZ500020 pertains to the upper tailgate/window, not the lower/full tailgate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've learned that there are (at least) 3 things in motion: the upper tailgate latch, the lower tailgate latch, and the lower tailgate striker.

For people who are having problems with the lower tailgate (i.e. the entire thing) opening or closing, @RRToadHalls suggestion seems to be adjusting the lower tailgate latch. The idea being that we could adjust the the latch to close tighter. In my particular case, assuming that outcome is possible, I think this would genuinely solve my problem (since my tailgate opens when I apply pressure to it, moving it closer).

RRToadHall - Can you come to my rescue? I can read the workshop manual to remove the tailgate trim but what exactly am I adjusting once I have access to the latch?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ford used to keep a Sport at the Airport for one of the VPs. They brought it to me for a complaint of the tail door unlocking while driving. The Tech "No fault found it because he could not duplicate the concern. I took the truck for the weekend to put some time in it and sure enough about a half hour into my drive the rear hatch released. Scared the crap out of me. When i got back to the shop on Monday I had the tech dig into it and found the harness where it routes in the upper tail gate to the body was shorted from bending when opening and closing the door.

Good spot to look for an issue. If the door releases on it own i would start by checking the switch (pinched, contacts damaged able to make intermittent short) then start looking at the wiring.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,686 Posts
adjust the dang thing tighter and be done. Since it is the entire tailgate move the striker loop on the body outward a hair and see if the solves the issue. That will force the latch to grab earlier thus making it latch further.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If this lock is electronically operated, it is very possible that a random ground can release the lock. Special Ed here appears to be onto something, especially since he has successfully addressed it before. Electronic components require two things to operate: one is voltage, and the other is ground. If voltage is constantly applied, as it typically is on electronic locks and latches, a ground pulse will energize it, regardless of the source. If the problem is mechanical, bear in mind that these latches require two or three ratchets to latch. A mechanical motion on the handle, or an electrical one will release it. You might try disconnecting any electrical connections to the latch and see if this ends the problem. If it does, you know where to go next. If it doesn't, you still know your next move. Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the car isn’t locked, the tailgate will randomly open. This has been consistent for about a month. It has never opened while driving. We’ve checked what we can, ensuring no obstructions.

I see a lot of posts about tailgates NOT opening... and I found one which was solved by the release switch, YUZ500020.

We have a similar problem with my wife's 2017 Evoque. It has opened while as we are pulling into the garage just after getting in the car. This happened on three different occasions and the last time it did a lot of damage. Not sure how this happened.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I had this problem throughout the winter but it hasn’t happened this summer. It hasn’t opened during/following rain. I thought it would be an electronic problem r/t moisture by I can only relate it to temperature. Very odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
208 Posts

Had the same symptoms but maybe not the same problem.
Turned out to be that my third button in the fob was programmed by the previous owner to open the tailgate and I was accidentally pressing it when handling the keys. That's why no issues when driving.
Easy fix by re-programming.
Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts