Range Rovers Forum banner

Tailgate Power Lock Actuator

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  creekroadjustice 
#1 ·
1994 range rover classic. So my tailgate power lock has never worked. I took the actuator off and it moves but it seems to just move in then out. Shouldn't it move in and stay in to lock? Anyone have a video or something as I have no idea how it works. Thanks.

#2 ·
It rotates a collar around the lock barrel that allows/prevents the outside button being pushed to open.

Originally a little casting in zinc-ky metal (commonly known in engineering as "crap" metal) that sometimes breaks off.

Ordinarily if that it broken you'll need to replace, but may not find supply.

Strip the mech out and remove the handle and you'll see it as sits around the lock barrel.

Mine broke but there was a scource in UK, somebody with cnc machining capability normally doing dental components, makes them in stainless steel to fix it.

I've a picture somewhere, and I'll try to find a link for you if needed.

#9 ·
It rotates a collar around the lock barrel that allows/prevents the outside button being pushed to open.

Originally a little casting in zinc-ky metal (commonly known in engineering as "crap" metal) that sometimes breaks off.

Ordinarily if that it broken you'll need to replace, but may not find supply.

Strip the mech out and remove the handle and you'll see it as sits around the lock barrel.

Mine broke but there was a scource in UK, somebody with cnc machining capability normally doing dental components, makes them in stainless steel to fix it.

I've a picture somewhere, and I'll try to find a link for you if needed.
Hi there i fix mine by drilling a piece of steel tube about 4mm thick then drilled 9mm hole in one end to slip over broken pins and seat it down to near bottom then cut and filed couple of pins into tube after cutting to length , i filed the shaft with pins on to 9mm and glued the piece on with epoxy , make sure pins in same position before glueing , it works and only took an hour of my time and wait the night for glue to set good , you dont need to wait whole night . hope this might help others who enjoy the pleasure landrovers .

#3 ·
This is a link to that item
I got one last year and it’s working perfectly. Much tougher than the stock crap where the little ears always snap off. It is money but if you think about how hard it is to machine stainless steel, it’s a bargain.

#5 ·
Tex has done it for me, thanks Tex.

In that picture then it's the central component with two prominent tangs sticking out (which are the one's that break) which you have to replace.

The top left item is the back of your handle with the stick coming through that opens the latches. The collar is positioned by rotation to block and unblock the stick/button from pushing the latch release.

As Tex says, it's immaculately made in stainless. They've even machined the location "pimples" into the face that holds location once turned! Most impressive programming.

As advert says, you also get stainless spring etc which will make it last indefinitely.

Not cheap, but effective.

Strip yours out and compare to the link photo to assess if you need it.

#6 ·
Forgot to add, when the solenoid operates it still rotates that collar, just such that if the tangs are snapped off then wherever it's positioned it does nothing.

So likely that the whole assembly is working but with no tangs it's completely ineffective. Swapping to the new one is all you need to do usually.

But as above, strip to assess first to make sure you need the components.

#8 ·
The Italian link goes to this UK site of origin as they manufacture the product
State they will ship worldwide too.

But to find the components, strip inside covers etc on tailgate, then undo the screws holding the external handle to remove, then look at the "back" of the handle. You can now see the components that are in the picture once you remove the two screws to undo that little cover plate.

In the picture BOTH the handle (top left of picture) AND the new stainless collar show their "tangs" intact, but those pointy tangs snap off and prevent the collar from being rotated by the central lock solenoid.

When you get the exterior handle off you'll see straight away if they are still present on yours or snapped. Compare them to the photo to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.