RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

I have had my 2010 for a few days now and have noticed a couple of things, some I can find others have posted about, others I have not so wanted your feedback.

Tailgate Open - Every time either I start the car fresh or if the tailgate has just been closed the driver information shows Tailgate Open. I get out walk to the back of the vehicle and sure enough it is fully and securely closed. I open it and close it again and voila !! problem solved. As this is clearly an issue (tailgate is always closed properly and never showed open when I switched the car off) has anyone else seen or heard of this and know a fix ?

Brake Squeal - I have mainly seen this on low speed reversing or low speed stops (traffic lights etc) where the brakes squeal. I gave the car a good wash today so will see how this one goes. To be honest I have not noticed this since but will keep a beady eye :)

Air Ride Adjustment Noise - When decompressing to Access Height I get more noise that I suppose I expected. Should this be relatively silent or should I expect a fair amount of volume ? ;)

That's it for now oh actually I do remember one more thing that I noticed only once and for the first time today.

Car was in access height and wife drove away. I then noticed that on the 4x4 info screen, the right hand side panel (the one that shows the wheels from behind rather than top down) was showing a flashing red line (all the others were white horizontal) over what would appear to have been the driver rear wheel. Once the vehicle was at Normal Height this went away. What are those lines indicating and is this an issue I should be concerned about ?

Thanks again all. Loving this vehicle a lot !!!!!

WC

·
Registered
521 Posts
Congrats! I'm new here also but let me see if I can answer your questions.

Tailgate Open - I had the same issue. I think I wasn't used to slamming it closed. Cause when the tailgate open warning came on, I could see that the tailgate was closed , just not closed "enough". Open and slam shut and it went away.

Brake Squeal - I have the same thing but I notice it only occasionally. Might be oxidation of the rotor. Not really that big of a deal to me.

Air Ride Adjustment Noise - Part of the noise is the compressor letting out a fart. The other is the compressor building pressure back up. Normal from what I found out recently.

As for the flashing red light, since it is on the drivers side, it could be the sensitive sensors noticing that someone is in the drivers seat!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Unlike our 2006s, later build Sports include a power assisted soft close mechanism for the lower tailgate, it is no longer necessary to slam it shut as 2006 owners do in very un-rangerover-like fashion. :wink: Wildcat1's issue sounds more like an electrical malfunction (loose wire, maybe?) in the latching harness, causing the false "tailgate open" message to display at startup even though the latch is fully engaged. Dealer should be able to retrieve DTC and pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
umbertob said:
Unlike our 2006s, later build Sports include a power assisted soft close mechanism for the lower tailgate, it is no longer necessary to slam it shut as 2006 owners do in very un-rangerover-like fashion. :wink: Wildcat1's issue sounds more like an electrical malfunction (loose wire, maybe?) in the latching harness, causing the false "tailgate open" message to display at startup even though the latch is fully engaged. Dealer should be able to retrieve DTC and pinpoint the problem.

Can the sofclose mechanism be installed, retro-fitted, on our MY2006?. I'd sure love that.

·
Registered
521 Posts
TripleE said:
Goinkin said:
Don't worry, it's still just as lame when you see everyone else around you using a complete power open/close gate. :thumb:

"Hey, check out my 'soft close' guys". :lol:
LOL I slam my gate closed like a MAN

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the vehicle back and was told NFF. They did do a software update for something but tailgate still shows open. I'm not actively slamming it down as I thought it had the soft close. This is the glass portion I am talking about.

Have it booked in again later in the week

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Wildcat1 said:
Got the vehicle back and was told NFF. They did do a software update for something but tailgate still shows open. I'm not actively slamming it down as I thought it had the soft close. This is the glass portion I am talking about.

Wildcat, unless the glass portion is different on the '10, its not a soft close. The whole tailgate has a soft close, not the glass.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wildcat1 said:

Having same issue. Dealership couldn't fix either so I'm just learning to deal with it. That top part is all plastic, lite, and so cheaply made. Irconically the actual tailgate is way too heavy.

·
Registered
521 Posts
swimmingriver said:
Wildcat1 said:

Having same issue. Dealership couldn't fix either so I'm just learning to deal with it. That top part is all plastic, lite, and so cheaply made. Irconically the actual tailgate is way too heavy.
Very disheartening.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The crazy part about it is that if you use the grab handles on the side of the glass piece (which lets face it are there to pull the tailgate back down) you cannot close it (well at least I can't) with enough force for it to register closed. Therefore I pull the glass down from the middle then put my palm on the outside and give it a slam :) After that it seems ok but like I said when you have a LR tech stating they tried it 12 times and could not replicate something doesn't sound right.

The brake squeal is annoying as well. I was ok putting up with the squeal in reverse for a little while but when the brakes squeal everytime you stop then it causes heads to turn and lets face it you want people to like the vehicle not the noisy brakes :)

What is weird is before I took it into the dealer (Day before) I power washed the wheels and it was quiet as a cat after that. Take it to the dealer who say they cleaned brake dust (thats what I was told yet work sheet says NFF) and low and behold the squeal is back. We'll see what more they can do and hope that this subsides

Still love the vehicle however as we all know in life, the product is one part of the equation, its the service that needs to be top notch because inevitable all products have problems.

WC

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Wildcat1 said:
What is weird is before I took it into the dealer (Day before) I power washed the wheels and it was quiet as a cat after that. Take it to the dealer who say they cleaned brake dust (thats what I was told yet work sheet says NFF) and low and behold the squeal is back. We'll see what more they can do and hope that this subsides
I will say that when I do have squeaking, my wheels are pretty dirty. After washing and purposely spraying water in/around the brakes, they get quiet. :|

1 - 13 of 13 Posts