RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been on the site for a good two hours searching for someone who's had my issue' or presently dealing with the same issues. After two hours of putting in different search terms I decided to post my concerns :clap:

First is the tailgate, when I open the tailgate, it won't remain open, so in essence I am forced to stand there and load whatever needs to be loaded while holding the tailgate open, is there a way to tighten the latches or tighten something so I can be done with this issue?

Next, when I close my doors, and lock them from the inside using the central locking system, I get that pesky beeping noise that tells me that the Right Hand passenger door is still open, so I have to reach over, open, then close the door in order to get the doors to lock, and stop that annoying beeping noise... I remember seeing a post on this some time back, but after searching for the tailgate issue I am drained... `)

If someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1998 HSE 4.6

·
Registered
206 Posts
CHRISDANIELS33 said:
So I've been on the site for a good two hours searching for someone who's had my issue' or presently dealing with the same issues. After two hours of putting in different search terms I decided to post my concerns :clap:

First is the tailgate, when I open the tailgate, it won't remain open, so in essence I am forced to stand there and load whatever needs to be loaded while holding the tailgate open, is there a way to tighten the latches or tighten something so I can be done with this issue?

Next, when I close my doors, and lock them from the inside using the central locking system, I get that pesky beeping noise that tells me that the Right Hand passenger door is still open, so I have to reach over, open, then close the door in order to get the doors to lock, and stop that annoying beeping noise... I remember seeing a post on this some time back, but after searching for the tailgate issue I am drained... `)

If someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1998 HSE 4.6
Hi,

if by tailgate you mean upper tailgate, then it's probably due to worn out struts. Replace both of them. Very easy to do, and not expensive.

N.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Your door issue is probably the outside handle is sticking. Mine was doing the same thing. Cleaned and lubricated the moving parts and the issue is resolved. I believe someone wrote up a more extensive way to fix this however.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MachoMan, is there a write up somewhere on the forums on how to replace the struts? @Chris, what did you use when you clleaned and lubricated you door handles?

·
Registered
541 Posts
MachoMan - lol..... I immediatly thought "ooooohhh yeaaaaah" (unfortunately I followed pro "wrestling" as a child)...

Anyway Chris, I scrubbed the door handles and hardward that I could see with Simple Green degreaser. I figured it's safe stuff to use. Then I carefully applied Liquid Wrench with the little sprayer nozzle around the area where the handle closes/slides, then worked the handle for a bit. Then I added a few dabs of Marvel Mystery Oil to the part of the handle that slides and worked it some more.

Now, I believe the proper procedure is to remove the door panel/handle and work at the bits from inside, however this trick worked for me so I decided to just let sleeping Rovers lie at that point.

here is some more info: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11107&start=0&hilit=outside+door+handle+sticking

1 - 5 of 5 Posts