·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a bit of a random question:

So my tailgate button for ages has worked like this:
- Push button
- Open top
- Push button and PULL on lower tailgate at the same time. If you just push the button, it doesn't release the lower tailgate. It's actually kinda annoying if you have your hands full of stuff, but I just assumed that was the way it was. Until....

... I recently replaced my tailgate cables because one snapped. Now:
- Push button
- Open top
- Push Button
- Open bottom

So I can push and THEN pull afterwards, I don't have to pull at the same time now. I was just curious what everyone elses does? What is the 'normal' behavior?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
933 Posts
for me it has always been push and then pull on the bottom tailgate. I replaced my lower tailgate a couple of weeks ago as the old one was completely ruined by the aluminium bubbling along the bottom edge.

Once I had got the new tailgate fully aligned and made sure it sealed properly I realised I had got rubbing on the catches at the top of the bottom tailgate each side which caused the same behaviour you described - I had to slightly adjust the strikers (as per RAVE instructions) and that cured the problem instantly.

-Will :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah...after it started acting 'normal' I was thinking, 'man, this makes a lot more sense' I guess I never thought much about it before besides it was annoying. Thanks for the sanity check.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What is the 'normal' behavior?
Normal? There is no such thing as normal. There is your P38 and then there is everyone elses `) :think:

On mine the top gate opens with the button push but the bottom has to be pulled ( and sometimes even "thumped" with the heel of my hand) I will fix it one day 8~

Mac

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got my P38 last week and I have to push the button and pull at the same time. So do I have to replace the cables or just adjust something?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Read what I put above - are the catches rubbing against the strikers when you close the bottom tailgate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
wills said:
Read what I put above - are the catches rubbing against the strikers when you close the bottom tailgate?

I'm from the States, not sure what are catches and strikers? Are these the latches and bars that the latches lock to?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine acts normal for most of the time (push, then pull), but occasionally it simply doesn't respond at all. When I push, it's as if the trunk is locked, even though the car is completely unlocked.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
jmason said:
Mine acts normal for most of the time (push, then pull), but occasionally it simply doesn't respond at all. When I push, it's as if the trunk is locked, even though the car is completely unlocked.

Any ideas?
Dodgy drivers door lock unit, or the wiring/connectors going to the drivers door lock.

Actually, I don't know if it is always the "drivers" door lock. It is the front right door lock on a RHD, but I don't know if that moves across to the front left door lock on a LHD.

·
Registered
933 Posts
jmason said:

Any ideas?
Paul could be right about the door lock but have you ever replaced the button?? MY P38 had a really crunchy feeling button when I originally got it. The spring inside the button assembly had rusted and made the button feel crunchy to push. I lived with it for a while until eventually it got so bad that it would take 4-5 attempts to get the tailgate undone.

·
Registered
669 Posts
push and pull at virtually same time as the relay only latches momentarily - if you take off the cover from the inside of the bottom tailgate you'll see how the actuator works which pulls the rods that engage the catches on the side of the body

1 - 13 of 13 Posts