RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question on RoversNorth and Discoweb BBS's so pardon the duplication, but thought you guys might have some input as well:

My tail lights (not brake lights) seem to be very dim. Does anyone know of a bulb upgrade that works well in a Classic? Any LED options?

I am assuming that if I make my tail lights brighter, I will need to do the same for my brake lights? Any options there?

Last question, did the 91 RRs have rear fogs? Previous owner changed up some of the switches and my front fogs use a foglight switch with a "2" on it. I dont have a switch for rear fogs. That is why I'm asking. Thanks

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Are you sure your tail lights are correctly grounded? Or are they proper brightness ans you just want them brighter?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rrtoadhall said:
Are you sure your tail lights are correctly grounded? Or are they proper brightness ans you just want them brighter?
Honestly i dont know if they are grounded correctly. How do I tell? They appear pretty dim, I dont know if this is the normal "brightness" or if I have a problem. Note i was looking at them during the day when it was overcast outside. I just noticed that you can barely see any light compared to my 99 Mercedes Benz and our 05 LR3. I realize that the technology is significantly different now vs a 91 RR. Which is why I was wondering if a bulb upgrade was possible.

Thanks for letting me know how to check the ground.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Rear fog lights for driving backwards in fog ? There may have been rear loading lights for a boat loading or something like that. The tail lights commonly have corrosion in the sockets, they're easily removed with 4 screws in lenses , I've used phosphoric acid ( navel jelly ) and brass brush to clean them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tail light and brake light brightness are governed by Federal law, so tail lights and brake lights were just as bright on your Range Rover when the car was built as other cars. If they've gotten dim, it is because of corrosion. You can soak the light sockets in cheap white vinegar to dissolve the corrosion from them. You can scrape the connectors off with a pocket knife or an X-Acto blade. Spray them all with silicone lubricant to protect them for several years from new corrosion, then reassemble them. I've had to do that on almost every old car I've ever owned.

For those of you who haven't seen them, rear fog lights are bright red lights that shine to the rear when you turn on your front fog lights. They are common all over northern Europe, where most countries use just one rear fog light to keep from confusing other drivers about whether you have your brakes applied or not. Some countries use two rear fog lights. They're hardly ever used in the US, except by air heads in California who drive their Volvo wagons with their fog lights on in all weather, even on blistering hot summer afternoons.

Scott

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help. I will check the ground wires and the contacts for corrosion.

And yes, I do mean rear fog lights. Most European cars come with rear fog lights as previously stated. My Mercedes vehicles had them (95 C280 and 99 E320) as did all of my Land Rovers except this one. In fact the Disco 1 SD didnt have front fogs, but it did have rear fog lights.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I assumed by fog lights you mean the lights in the front spoiler, these are closer to the ground and shine under low clouds (fog) instead of reflecting back in your eyes like regular headlights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your lamp housings are cast aluminum and the sockets are metal and ground to the housing. Typical stupid LR mating disimilar metals lol. Pop your sockets out and clean them and use dielectric grease when you put them back together. Also use grease inside so the bulbs do not rust into the sockets. I had to go through mine as the side parking lamps were bad. Rear Fogs 86 and up were in the tail light housing. It is already a two way socket even though it is only a single ( top spot) i have a euro fog lamp switch coming which is like the two we all get here in the states but without the "2" and a pair of 2 way 3/4" sockets from NAPA and a relay. Wire up your relay to get switched power from your parking lights. I'd do front fogs but when highbeams are switched on they would turn off although who uses highbeams in fog so I guess either is fine. Your tail lights are 5 watt and brake is 25 watt.... Clean your grounds:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts