RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2012 HSE and if i use the key fob to open the tail gate the tail gate will unlatch and open about an inch then drops back.
If im inside and the engine is running it will open automatically using the button on the dash.
sometimes if im walking towards it in a carpark it will open using the key fob but 9 times out of ten it will just open and drop back, any one had this fault and fixed it........

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 2012 HSE and if i use the key fob to open the tail gate the tail gate will unlatch and open about an inch then drops back.
If im inside and the engine is running it will open automatically using the button on the dash.
sometimes if im walking towards it in a carpark it will open using the key fob but 9 times out of ten it will just open and drop back, any one had this fault and fixed it........
What if you’re inside with the engine off? Trying to figure out if it’s a battery / voltage issue.

Battery with engine off will be 12.x V. Alternator puts out nearly 14.00 V. That will answer this question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
445 Posts
Healthy battery usually outputs 13,4V or near, same as if you'd measute new 1.5VAA battery it will show 1.6V.
What you can do is hook up a voltmeter to the battery (preferably old fashion one with arrow)and note voltage with running engine (should be 14V+) with engine off (should be 13V+, stop by any autoparts store and measure any new battery on the shelf for reference) and then pay close attention to what happens when you press tailgate open button. If V drops too much, the there is an issue related to battery. It can be corrosion or loose battery terminals, loose/corroded ground connection to the frame or battery just crapped out. If you havent replaced that battery in last 3 years, it is safe to say - go for it. Also please note that battery can deteriorate not exclusively by loosing its V output but also by loosing its capacity - thats why you need to see what it shows under load. I had my 18 mo old battery recently replaced under warranty, it was showing well over 12v when measured but intermittently would not start the car....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts