RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, my 2001 LHD the tail gate will not lock. I have searched all over the web and have not found a similar issue. All other doors work fine with the key fob or by pressing the latch down. The button on the tail gate works as it should when opening both the top and bottom hatches. When the rest of the doors are locked I can hit the button on the tail gate and open the back up, setting off the alarm. I have had the problem for about a month during which I sourced a new to me tail gate with all the hardware and installed it using none of the parts that were already there. (The old one was dented.) I think it is highly unlikely the exact same problem would persist with completely different parts, so the problem should be elsewhere. I know the tail gate is routed through the microswitches in the front right door latch, but I put a brand new one on 3 years ago. I think it's probably still good. Does anyone know how to test the front right door outstation other than swapping in a different one?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Outstation doesn't get involved in the tailgate latch circuit. When the RHF door is unlocked, a ground from the CDL switch in the latch is fed through various connectors on a Green/Red wire which then arrives at the tailgate release button. Power is fed to the tailgate latch motor from Fuse 15 and the other side of the motor is connected to the release button. If it still opens when the RHF door is locked, then you have a permanent ground on the Green/Red wire. Try unplugging the RHF door latch, if the tailgate will still open with that unplugged, the wire is grounded somewhere between the two.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts