RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with my speedometer bouncing up and down swaying a good 10 mphs both direction. My tachometer isn't working at all and I checked the connections in back of the instrument panel and still cant seem to find the problem.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
46 Posts
Put your vehicle info in your profile - it will make it much easier for members to give you some help.

What year is your Rover? Early vehicles have a speedometer cable. Actually two - an upper and a lower. Either or both may need to be replaced. There's also a speed sensor in the middle of the cable and an angle drive where the cable enters the back of the instrument. Any of these could be worn or defective. If it is a later vehicle, it will have an electrical speedometer instead of the cable. For these vehicles, it problem could be the instrument itself, the wiring or the electrical sender unit on the transfer case (most likely the sender).

The tachometer is completely independent of the speedometer. Likely culprits here are the alternator, wiring or the instrument. On my 89 Classic, I had a bad connection on the back of the instrument itself where the small "aluminum box" was attached to the rear of the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its an 89 rangerover classic. 1 of the speedo chords is connected in the back of the instrument panel but i still have to look for the other 1. any ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts