·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of pictures of my efforts.

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

Tablet is an ASUS Zen Pad 7 - cheap and the right size.

I used the space that was taken up by the original sat nav display cooling fan for the controls.

The rotary switch (knob is a bit naff I know) selects between radio, tablet and the aux in socket next to it.
The three buttons below are on/off, vol + & vol - from the tablet.
I power the tablet from a cigar lighter usb thingie hidden in the ashtry. I have also included a switch to change between IGN power and permanent power as I was finding that I didn't drive the car enough to keep the tablet charged. The idea is to switch to permanent power for a couple of hours every so often.

I didn't want to mess up the tablet so the buttons are extended by using a 6 way FFC in place of the original button flex circuit connector. The FFC exits via the hole where the original buttons were fitted.

Things I learnt:
1 Clockwise from the top is anti-clockwise when viewed from below,
2 The audio wire with the black tracer is audio + not audio - (you get some very interesting aural effects if you common the + and keep the - separate.
3 The use of red and white for audio L and R is not universal. (my 3.5 jack wire is red white and yellow - white is common)
4 The tip of the jack is the common audio -ve.

I lost count of the number of goes it took me to get the rotary switch wiring right!

I did have to modify the facia a bit as the tablet is a bit wider than the original sat nav screen.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Looks to be a neat fit but the fan wasn't a cooling fan for the controls, it's the interior temperature sensor for the HEVAC so it knows whether to blow hot or cold to get the temperature to whatever you've got it set to. I assume you now have the chequebook symbol on the HEVAC display if you've just disconnected it rather than moved it somewhere else.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops I feel silly, better put it back! Funnily enough I don't have the testbook symbol.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Nice install, but definitely ++1 on the HEVAC sensor.

Regarding the charging issue, my android tablet just uses a USB 2A Fast Charge adapter fed from the cigarette lighter, but hidden behind the tablet. The fast charge mode is done by connecting the two data pins on the USB together.

To reduce the tablet discharge when not using it, I have an automation app loaded, that puts the tablet into Flight Mode & Screen Off when the ignition goes off. It is also configured to shutdown running apps such as Waze, Music, TomTom, Google Maps, etc. and then Mute Audio. At switch on, it un-mutes audio, de-activates flight-mode & turns screen on, so the tablet is ready for use.

This way the tablet battery stays above 90% for many days. It even held 80% while I was on holiday for 2 weeks.

Look here for the app. http://automateitapp.com It's well worth buying the Pro version, and using some of the pre-defined rule sets.

Pete

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
87 Posts
Very nice looking install. For the interior temp, when I modded my fascia, I left it connected, but it's now hidden behind the fascia (will try and get a pic later)

Is your tablet sound going out through the Rover's sounds system? If so, would you explain how you did this.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
That looks very neat and just what I'm contemplating.

Did you look at connection by Bluetooth?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is very cool. I also just realised, you can switch to camera mode to see whats going on behind your dash when Rangie acts up:lol:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the heater works better with the sensor connected!

To answer Aloharover's question, yes the tablet sound goes through the standard amp and the radio vol/tone controls are used. If you have the single boot mounted amp then the output from the radio is just a line out and the tone controls are sent digitally from the radio head unit. So you can just intercept radio output (I use ashort ISO male to female extender to save cutting into the original wring harness). If your radio has only four wires coming out of the speaker connector (brown?) then this should work. With some of the other radio / amp combinations it i more tricky but Google will give you the info. BTW my tablet works fine (set the tablet vol to max) but my phone doesn't (Moto E). Apparently the output from some phones isn't powerful enough to drive a line input properly.

I only use wi-fi on the tablet but set my phone to be a mobile hot-spot - saves paying for two data services.

Having the USB accessible means I can connect my laptop to update the memory card in the tablet - can also do it through wi-fi while parked outside my house.

Having looked into my charging issues, it seems the charger I used (one I had lying around) doesn't give nearly enough current - it can barely run the tablet. The one that came with the tablet produces 1.25A so a new one is on order.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very very nice. I''m inspired. I'm going to do this.

What year is your car? Did you have the Harmon Kardon system?

cheers

Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
I mean after your aftermarket head unit?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Looks good...

I'm about to look at redoing my navigation system that I put in about 4yrs ago.. I've just bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172218721367

With the view to taking it all apart and mounting the 7" screen in the location of the old Nav screen (or in my case the old nav unit) and then mounting the internal PCB in such a way as that it all fits nicely in the dash...

If successful, I will then have radio, nav, bluetooth, steering wheel controls, and reversing camera all in one nice unit. And a single DIN hole left where the current stereo sits - so might need ideas on what to fit in there (Thinking EAS pressure gauge at least).

·
Registered
688 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Hi Pete,

I think that I may be in luck... for the reason that a lot of these units have a DVD drive in them aswell, for movies and who knows whatever else.. But they are usually mounted at the top, with either a slightly thicker bezel and the slot for the disk, or the screen tilts down to access the drive..

So on that basis (and I'll find out when it arrives) I have a feeling that there is just one main board in the bottom of the 2 DIN box and then a lot of empty space (as this one doesn't have the DVD drive). Also the fact that some of them have varying screen arrangements, that I believe it's probably a ribbon cable of some description. So whether I can pull the main board out of the case, and then maybe mount it vertically behind the screen and then hook it all up that way.

Time will tell, but I'm *fairly* certain there is a fair bit of empty space in that double din box...

I'll make sure I take pictures as I do it and do a writeup if it's successful...

I like the look of the gauge - and hopefully it does work with air aswell... I have seen a couple of electronic pressure transducers for air, but they always seem a bit expensive for what they are...

Fingers crossed it all works, as it would be nice to have a complete solution in one unit - and all the 'branded' units to me are ridiculously expensive for pretty much the same functionality!

Marty

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
For the extra gauges, I'd put in an oil pressure gauge and a dual AFR gauge fed by a wideband sensor on each bank...

·
Registered
140 Posts
You could also install EASUnlock on the tablet and have diagnostics on the go! You have given me an idea now......
Where's my hacksaw and hammer :)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
You could also install EASUnlock on the tablet and have diagnostics on the go! You have given me an idea now......
Where's my hacksaw and hammer :)
I don't think EASUnlock will run on it, as it's an Android tablet, rather than a windows based unit :(

Pete - I've have a look at the website and looks like it might be possible to make it and integrate it somehow... (hardest bit would be building the board etc - which isn't that tricky either!

Though these days I wonder if you could wire in an ELM327 Bluetooth module to the OBD port and get some of the data that way too, via the Torque app which would install on the tablet. I don't think that would give the oil pressure though - but you could read MAF, air temp, and fuel trims on the go...

Food for thought though... It would be good if you could write an EAS app for android and then connect to that somehow... on board EAS diagnostics...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Or if you wanted to get adventurous you could just hack a Nanocom and put the display into your Din1 space. Instrument mode and all of the diagnostics you could ever want at your fingertips!
Still no oil pressure though- you'd have to tee off the pressure switch and put a sensor to feed a gauge somewhere...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts