RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for a simple holder for a tablet - could be 7 to 10.5 inch - to fit to the rear seat and from around the headrest .

Not much choice here in Dubai - anyone care to recommend one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'l take a picture of the box and the set up of a very simple but practical one that I got this weekend.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking of running some power to the tablet .... can I take a connection from the fuse box next to the BECM? Or, will I upset the RR continuum? :)

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
There is no fuse box next to the BeCM, the fuse box is part of the BeCM...... However, you could probably tap into one of the outlets on the BeCM at the wiring. Presumably you'd want it to be ignition switched? I'd recommend NOT using the ignition switched supply on the one plug at the back of the BeCM which would be the one nearest where you want the power to go as it feeds the radio, HEVAC, EAS lights and stop lights and is heavily loaded anyway so often overheats the contact in the plug. Your best bet would be to come off the green wire on pin 5 of C1584 at the front of the BeCM. This is the feed to the rear auxiliary power socket and is paralleled up with the cigar lighter socket feed.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've found pin 5 green wire on plug C1584 but it is dead when the ignition is on (cigarette lighter has power as normal).

Is this in fact an earth?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Odd? On the diagram in RAVE, it shows two green wires from pin 5 on two different connectors with one feeding the cigar lighter and the other feeding the auxiliary power socket on a MY 2000 car (which yours is). However, the pictures shows C1584 as being an 18 way connector (on MY 2000 only) and C1290 being a 12 way connector in a far less accessible place. See if you can work it out.

diag.jpg C1584.jpg C1290.jpg

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're telling me!

I do have an accessory socket in the back and I'll check if it is working (cigarette one definitely is).

The green wire you mentioned on C1584 is correct but dead when ignition is on ..... am I going mad? It can't be dead if it is fed from RL7 in the BECM which also feeds the front cigarette lighter which is fine ....

More later ....... anywhere else you can think of to connect to? I prefer not to take the seat out.

Cheers and thanks.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
More later ....... anywhere else you can think of to connect to? I prefer not to take the seat out.
There doesn't appear to be anywhere else that is easily accessible and won't cause a problem if you manage to short it out and take a fuse out. Most of the others are either permanent live or feeding something fairly important. Blowing the cigar lighter and aux power fuse isn't the end of the world but killing something else may well be. Oddly enough, my 1993 Classic LSE had a second cigar lighter socket on the rear of the centre console so back seat passengers could light their cigars from that. That would have ben ideal for you if they had still fitted it on a P38.

How are you checking for power on the green wire? I normally shove a straightened out paper clip down the side of the wire and connect the meter to that. Assuming there is a problem with the feed to the aux socket, you could always come off the back of the cigar lighter itself. The seat won't have to come out as you should be able to remove the side panel to the centre console and get to it from there. You could then run the wire along inside the centre console and bring it out of the back somewhere.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Confession time!

Plonker report!

It is the earth - I was using the threaded stud on the side of the BECM, assuming it was an earth point.

You can shoot me now ....

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Glad you got it sorted :)

There is a threaded stud on the side of the BECM for the earth to BECM - but it's right at the back. the front 3 are the +12V feeds (which you've now found out!)

The cigar lighter socket is even easier to get to than having to take a side panel out too - it can be done just by loosening window switch pack and then removing the gear shift surround - as the surround lifts off, you just unplug the socket and when removed get access to the wiring.

I did this not so long ago to wire in a 2 way USB charger, as I was sick of the plug in one being intermittent because of bad connection into the cigar socket. Also now I've got enough charging power for both my phone and the girlfriend's iPad, with a cable run through into the cubby box :)

Good luck with the rest of your install Spiggy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts