RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a genuine T4 on the Dell machine supplied. The T4 software takes control of the Dell, BUT as I have the T4+RDS 5.06 software I want to install this on another laptop running Windows XP and configuring it (as indicated below) to be a normal XP machine (booting up and going to Windows desktop) and T4 as a shortcut on the desktop. I had hoped that the advice given (see below) would work but it doesn't the T4 still takes over the machine even though I have followed the instructions below - does anyone know how I can get the normal windows desktop and T4 as a shortcut as it would make the machine much more usable. Obviously I have all the cables, docking station and CDs etc. Land Rover and MGs.

I picked this post from another forum and hoped it would work, but it doesn't!! :

The T4 I have uses a Dell dimension Laptop running Windows 98 which must be preinstalled first as the current RDS CD has just the T4 backend app. I have also built up a second Windows XP laptop using a Compaq EVO N400c and will be making that one dual boot so I can run Landrover RDS 6 or MGR RDS 5.06 I also use XP as you are able to ctrl-alt-del back to task manager so can use other apps, do screen dump capture car reports etc. Under Windows 98 even if not running as a shell initially once the T4 menu is launched it is not easy to use anything else.

FYI under XP the T4 menu installs as a shell in the registry here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Shell=T4menu.exe
replacing that with
Shell=Explorer.exe
gives you back your normal XP machine and a T4 shortcut on the desktop

Under windows 95/98 there is a startup.bat at the root of c:\ which calls the T4Menu.exe as the shell which is useful to temporarily rem out if you need to maintain the PC occasionally.

Has anyone solved this one??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Converting a T4 PC with RDS to start up as WXP .
(26-10-2007)

There is currently no automatic way of removing the T4Menu from start-up. Following the steps below allows the user to access the windows desktop from start-up and run applications (including the T4Menu) without the T4 main Menu.

Registry.

The following keys must be removed. It is recommended that an export is taken first.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run\RDS Start

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run\RDS Compatibility

Change.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\Winlogon\shell\T4Menu.exe to Explorer.exe

Files.

In c:\rds\rds.ini change shutdown=yes to shutdown=no.

Reboot the PC to complete changes.

Did this answer your question?, if not let me know `)
Brian.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts