RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before i start hi i'm new at this lol
is it possible to run both the t4 and ids on the same install of xp pro as was having a few problems t4 worked fine then install ids and no more t4 cheers for any help

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not necessarily a dedicated laptop, a dedicated partition will do the job. I have both Ford & JLR IDS running happily together on one laptop.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You need to partition the drive to seperate the jaguar/landrover & ford/mazda. But you still need a dedicated laptop for the IDS.

I've tried everything over the year to try & add the vehicle explorer but it's not having it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
They can be ran on the same Laptop
After all that's how it all started out. But i don't and won't recommend it.

At the risk of boring the pants of anyone and everyone, i shall none the less share what i know or think i know. :geek:
In the beginning or about 2000 i believe
On the Land Rover side, all the dealers were using a dedicated hardware platform called TestBook 1, 2 or 3 made by Omitech, which Rover also used
On the Ford side, all dealers were using a dedicated hardware platform called WDS (Worldwide Diagnostic System) which Jaguar also used. this was made by Genrad and was really just a re badged GDS3500 unit.

Land Rover However had just introduced T4, and pushed its dealers into trading in their dedicated hardware for the T4's Dell Laptop with an add on ethernet vehicle interface module that was put in either a docking or mobile box.
That's about where Ford bought Land Rover.
In order not to upset the newly upgraded Dell Dealer owners they got Genrad to put the interface Capabilities of the GDS3500 into an add on unit called the GNA600 that could be plugged into the same Dell laptop. Thus Adding WDS to the T4 system. The Red Brick we all know today as IDS
A menu software (white screen) that allowed selection of either system was implemented.

Ford, struggling with two distinctly different hardware systems both called WDS, decided to bin both and renamed it all IDS. they switched from Dell to Panasonic with their Toughbook CF18 (now 19) and persuaded all their dealers to buy one of these 8.4 inch over priced POS units.

The software is there to allow both to run on a CF18/19, but most dealers have had so much trouble integrating all the comms for both systems, they keep the Dell for T4 and the Panasonic for IDS.

Of course Ford and jaguar / Land Rover IDS can be installed on the same laptop, as they share the same hardware connectivity, but as my learned friends point out, each must have its own partition and each requires the IDS VCM to be programmed for it, which i something i do not recommend regularly toggling a single VCM between.

For me i have 3 laptops, one configured and used for T4, one configured and used with a VCM programmed and kept for ford and one configured to be used only with a VCM set to LR/ Jaguar. It might seem excessive but even this configuration gives me plenty enough head aches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts