RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK simple question. On my previous Jap 4x4 the TC light flickered on and off as the system worked as grip was lost and re-gained. Is it the same for the RRC? With recent conditions I have lost grip the the rear wheels twice (great fun) though I have tried many many times to get it to swing out :lol: Both were on medium uphill gradients. The thing I moticed though was that the TC light came on and stayed on. Is this a fault with the TC ? ABS is working perfect BTW.

The front often do a litlle wheelspin when pulling off especially if I am turning right/left up a hill. Am I right in thinking the TC only works on the rear wheels? Wonder why that is :?

:pray:

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Sounds like everything is working as designed. Unfortunately 4wheel TC didn't come online until around 1999.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. So the TC light is supposed to come on and stay on if it activates? (only went off after switching off and re-starting).

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Apologies I didn't catch the part where it stays on until you reset the ignition. On my LWB it stayed on until regaining traction for a few seconds and then would go out. In other words it didn't flicker or flash.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Nice Blazing Saddles Reference in the sig....rttoadhall.......

·
Registered
300 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Apologies I didn't catch the part where it stays on until you reset the ignition. On my LWB it stayed on until regaining traction for a few seconds and then would go out. In other words it didn't flicker or flash.
Mine was exactly the same, the light went out when it was no longer losing traction :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hmmmm, pretty sure mine does the flickering thing. Been awhile since it's been on dirt though. Memory might be hazy...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it is not supposed to stay on? Another thing to sort then. C/L now sorted just a bit of WD40 was needed. Only the leccy seats and this to go really. Any ideas? Fuse must be OK so relay maybe? Anything else to look at?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went out for another little drive around the villiage today and tested the TC again. Went down the s/medium gradient in front of the picture and came back up with little problem and no TC light. Then stopped at top on flat, back into high range and pulled off. A little wheel spin to start, TC and ABS lights came on and stayed on until I turned off and on again when I got home. So I assume there is definately something not right.

·
Registered
300 Posts
TehPriest said:
Went out for another little drive around the villiage today and tested the TC again. Went down the s/medium gradient in front of the picture and came back up with little problem and no TC light. Then stopped at top on flat, back into high range and pulled off. A little wheel spin to start, TC and ABS lights came on and stayed on until I turned off and on again when I got home. So I assume there is definitely something not right.
Mine also displayed this fault (both lights on, then staying on) turned out the front left ABS sensor needed cleaning and tapping back into position, simple enough job :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for this. Did this only happen when the TC kicked in as well? I checked the ABS on a very icy bit of (straight) lane with nothing about and it all worked perfect but the lights didn't stay on only when the rear wheels lose grip and spin do they do it.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Interesting!. My 93 lights only come on when the traction control has been used that much that the ABS pump can't keep up and the pressure drops below that required. Once the pressure builds back up the light goes out. This can take a few seconds and may appear that the light is staying on. I expected the light to come on when the traction control is working, but it only seems to come on with low pressure, like when you first start it in the morning.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are there sensors on the back for the TC as well as the ABS or do they both get the signal from the same sensor? It would be odd for it to work for the ABS and not the TC but maybe thats what is happening? If the TC has seperate sensors perhaps they need cleaning/adjusting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My understanding is that if the light stays on when the TC isn't activated, then you have a fault. On my 94, the TC light comes on when you start up until you get to about 5km/h, and then when the TC is active, then it goes off when you have traction. You could repeat the incident that set the TC off once the light is staying on, see if it activates a second time with the light already on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ian, doesn't that mean that your abs pump is on it's way out, ie. can't keep up with the required pressure? I remember something along the lines of 40 seconds or more of pump noise is a bad sign.

·
Registered
300 Posts
TehPriest said:
Thanks for this. Did this only happen when the TC kicked in as well? I checked the ABS on a very icy bit of (straight) lane with nothing about and it all worked perfect but the lights didn't stay on only when the rear wheels lose grip and spin do they do it.

My understanding is that an ABS fault knocks out the TC as well :think: and both lights stay lit until the fault is rectified.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
matt said:
Ian, doesn't that mean that your abs pump is on it's way out, ie. can't keep up with the required pressure? I remember something along the lines of 40 seconds or more of pump noise is a bad sign.
My pump runs just inside the limits set by LR. As it is 17 years old, it is probably getting near the end of its life.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My pump runs just inside the limits set by LR. As it is 17 years old, it is probably getting near the end of its life.
Mine's in the same boat, just putting my head in the sand with that one for now... :wink:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to clarify a bit. The ABS and TC lights both go off as they should after startup. The ABS works and a rumble can be felt through the pedal when braking on ice. When accellerating on ice only if the rear wheel lose traction, the TC and ABS light come on and stay on until ignotion is switched off and onn again. She still climbs a shallow to mid sized icy hill (in the pic) with little problem considdering she is on fully road biassed tyres. The ABS still works when the lights are on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
you should be able to feel the TC working, a sort of pulse

1 - 20 of 20 Posts