RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace a radiator this weekend and was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step guide on flushing and refilling the system with coolant. I have read many post and it appears that no one really trust the RAVE instructions on this so I am looking for some practical "real world" advice to get this job done correctly the first time. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
193 Posts
Yeah, take it in and pay the $75.00 for someone else to do it! :thumb:

Seriously, it's messy, it sucks, and really it is worth the money to have someone else do it. I know from trying it myself. :roll:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't be oppose to taking it to my local indy to get the flush done, but from what I've read I shouldn't drive the truck after a radiator change until the flush is done. Is this not correct? Do you think I would be ok driving it for say 35-50 miles to my local indy to get the flush done.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
A flush is normally done before the radiator change ynless you have had a catastrophic failure. If this is the case just have them add water when they are done or you will be wasting new coolant from the radiator change.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I recently did a flush on mine. Its not terribly difficult. If you are just doing the radiator, the thermostat will do a good job of keeping most of the coolant in the block. What I did when I replaced my water pump, was fill the block up using the top radiator hose, then the radiator itself, and then the reservoir. I started the engine, let it run for 10 seconds or so and then shut the engine off. By that point the coolant in the reservoir would have drained some. Top it up and repeat until the level stops going down. Allow the system to heat up to operating temperature and watch your coolant temp like a hawk. If all appears normal, let it sit overnight. The next morning the coolant might have gone down, so top it up. That was what I did with mine, and I didn't have any issues. I may have taken some unnecessary precautions, but I always will with my rangie. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts