RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best synthetic oil to use in a high mileage engine?

Should i continue to use the originally recommended mobil one fully synthetic or should i be switching to a special brand that would serve the engine better due to its high mileage?
I have currently clocked 245,000 miles (
394,289.2 km)8)

Many thanks in dvance to those who respond

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
What would be the best synthetic oil to use in a high mileage engine?

Should i continue to use the originally recommended mobil one fully synthetic or should i be switching to a special brand that would serve the engine better due to its high mileage?
I have currently clocked 245,000 miles (
394,289.2 km)8)

Many thanks in dvance to those who respond
Impressive mileage! What year and engine L322 do you have?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts
I would just keep using the same Mobil 1 synthetic. As long as you're changing your oil regularly and keeping up with maintenance it really doesn't make a difference. I run regular full synthetic in my Range Rover and all my BMW's, even the ones with 200k+ miles.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Impressive mileage! What year and engine L322 do you have?

Hi Doc , i have a 2005 full size vehicle ,4.4l bMW M62TU Engine , I love it.
When i got it it had been through 5 different owners and all of them gave up on it , the most annoying issue according to them was the terrible noise from the lower windshield seal so i bought it cash and fixed ll the minor gremlins and its been pretty good since then. At the time it had 80k miles (2012)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advise thx

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would just keep using the same Mobil 1 synthetic. As long as you're changing your oil regularly and keeping up with maintenance it really doesn't make a difference. I run regular full synthetic in my Range Rover and all my BMW's, even the ones with 200k+ miles.
Thx Danny , so you still use the 10w40? or are you using 5w40 or 0w40?

·
Registered
521 Posts
2005 L322, 200K and climbing. AMSOIL 0W-40 every 5-7K...I have used Mobil1 0W-40 a few times....

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts

Hi Doc , i have a 2005 full size vehicle ,4.4l bMW M62TU Engine , I love it.
When i got it it had been through 5 different owners and all of them gave up on it , the most annoying issue according to them was the terrible noise from the lower windshield seal so i bought it cash and fixed ll the minor gremlins and its been pretty good since then. At the time it had 80k miles (2012)
Very cool to see, thanks! I just switched from Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w20 to AMSOIL Signature Series 5w20 in my 5.0 NA V8. My oil change interval is every 7,000 - 10,000 miles depending on type of driving.

I switched to AMSOIL mainly due to its lower volatility (NOACK < 7%); hoping it may help lower the carbon build-up a bit.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2005 L322, 200K and climbing. AMSOIL 0W-40 every 5-7K...I have used Mobil1 0W-40 a few times....[/QUOTE)

Why 0w40? is it much better than the 10w40 recommended from the get go? whats the key advantage in using this particuar oil? thx

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very cool to see, thanks! I just switched from Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w20 to AMSOIL Signature Series 5w20 in my 5.0 NA V8. My oil change interval is every 7,000 - 10,000 miles depending on type of driving.

I switched to AMSOIL mainly due to its lower volatility (NOACK < 7%); hoping it may help lower the carbon build-up a bit.

Interesting , this is thefirst time i am seeing the use of 5w20 in these rigs , i will definitely research. Thx Doc!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oil needs to be specced for the car and also the region you live in, ie how cold or hot it gets.

Viscosity is notated with the common "XW-XX." The number preceding the "W" rates the oil's flow at 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-17.8 degrees Celsius). The "W" stands for winter, not weight as many people think. The lower the number here, the less it thickens in the cold. So 5W-30 viscosity engine oil thickens less in the cold than a 10W-30, but more than a 0W-30. An engine in a colder climate, where motor oil tends to thicken because of lower temperatures, would benefit from 0W or 5W viscosity. A car in Death Valley would need a higher number to keep the oil from thinning out too much.
The second number after the "W" indicates the oil's viscosity measured at 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius). This number represents the oil's resistance to thinning at high temperatures. For example, 10W-30 oil will thin out at higher temperatures faster than 10W-40 will.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oil needs to be specced for the car and also the region you live in, ie how cold or hot it gets.

Viscosity is notated with the common "XW-XX." The number preceding the "W" rates the oil's flow at 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-17.8 degrees Celsius). The "W" stands for winter, not weight as many people think. The lower the number here, the less it thickens in the cold. So 5W-30 viscosity engine oil thickens less in the cold than a 10W-30, but more than a 0W-30. An engine in a colder climate, where motor oil tends to thicken because of lower temperatures, would benefit from 0W or 5W viscosity. A car in Death Valley would need a higher number to keep the oil from thinning out too much.
The second number after the "W" indicates the oil's viscosity measured at 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius). This number represents the oil's resistance to thinning at high temperatures. For example, 10W-30 oil will thin out at higher temperatures faster than 10W-40 will.
Thank you Envogue for taking the time to explain that clearly , i had no clue. it makes a lot of sense now and thus i can make an educated desicion on what 'weight" oil will est suit my travels and general location the vehicle spends time in. thank you very much .
Have a great weekend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts