RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned several different RRS and RRS-SC products and love the vehicle. I am contemplating switching to something slightly larger to accomodate our lifestyle a bit better and am considering a full size '12 RR (NOT SC) with all the options except RES. I am curious to know other opinions on the vehicle and if anyone else made the change. The first few things I noticed is there aren't any passive keyless options for the full size which all of our vehicles in from our recent past have had this feature which is a small thing to look over but I am more concerned with the vehicle size, weight and engine pairing. Is the N/A motor sufficient for such a large vehicle or does the vehicle feel like it definitely needs the SC option to get it going on the highway?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have owned several different RRS and RRS-SC products and love the vehicle. I am contemplating switching to something slightly larger to accomodate our lifestyle a bit better and am considering a full size '12 RR (NOT SC) with all the options except RES. I am curious to know other opinions on the vehicle and if anyone else made the change. The first few things I noticed is there aren't any passive keyless options for the full size which all of our vehicles in from our recent past have had this feature which is a small thing to look over but I am more concerned with the vehicle size, weight and engine pairing. Is the N/A motor sufficient for such a large vehicle or does the vehicle feel like it definitely needs the SC option to get it going on the highway?
I have both.

Think of it this way:

The Range Rover Sport is like flying in an airplane cockpit. The full-size Range Rover is like flying in an airplane cabin.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do you feel about the lack of tech in the full size? when you drive the RR is it cumbersome and bulky or does it hide it's size well?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
As far as ride quality and lack of bulkiness, look for and try to drive a RR that has Adaptive Dynamics, the active shock system. Going from a SC L320 to a L322 will feel a good amount less sporty, and almost loose and sway-ey in comparison, but the L322s that have the active shocks are very good at making up some of it, and still retain the softness of the ride that comes with the L322.

To check if it has, just pop the hood and look at the top of the strut towers. The ones fitted with the system have a black metal cap with wires going through it, the ones that don't just have a plastic cap.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
I couldn't stand the plastic-y feel of the sport. I didn't like anything about it, I felt like I was driving an escape.

The L322 on the other hand I love. It's big, it's floaty, but it's wonderful.

·
Registered
687 Posts
how do you feel about the lack of tech in the full size? when you drive the RR is it cumbersome and bulky or does it hide it's size well?
The exterior of the sport and the FF are very similar in size ,other than being a few inches longer the FF just appears larger probably due to it's height. As for the engine being adequate the performance is pretty much the same(with the 5.0 you'll have plently of power), believe it or not the sport actually weights more than earlier model FF versions. As for the handling you're going to be rolling alot more around corners, and interior space wise you're going to be very disappointed the sport actually has more passenger room ( you'll notice a difference in the rear seats even more) than the FF , might have something to do with it being on discovery platform. If you're looking for something larger, i think you're going to be disapointed, in some ways the sport is actually more usable than the Fullsize, which is probably why they sell alot more sports than fullsizes.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i read that the rear legroom is 35.1 we had a q7 and it was 37.1 it was more than adequate. at 35.1 i am not sure if the loss of 2" translates into a noticeable difference.

i placed a deposit on a full size rr supercharged with silver package. i have to go over it again on monday but i think that is the way we will go. the only thing it does not have is a black headliner which i really wanted but it seems to be far less common on RR/RRS than other vehicles.

·
Banned
901 Posts
I think you made a great choice. The 5l sc pairs so well with the l322. It just feels made for it; smooth and prodigious power delivery.

Congrats!

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
major concern on either engine is the carbon build-up from being a DI engine. rather large DI engine. are these things gunked up and need cleaning every 10k miles like audi eight cylinders or every 30k like bmw six cylinders?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
major concern on either engine is the carbon build-up from being a DI engine. rather large DI engine. are these things gunked up and need cleaning every 10k miles like audi eight cylinders or every 30k like bmw six cylinders?
Are you in NJ by chance?

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wound up swapping out for the full size RR-SC with Silver Package and all the bells and whistles just short of AB.
At this point absolutely no regrets despite the low-tech compared to my other vehicles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts