RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to swap out my right for left sensors and dont have any experience but i looked at them and they look straight forward....before i swap them i have a few questions..
do i need to raise or lower the truck?
disconnect battery?
when im done do i need to recaliberate?
anything else i need to know? please put ur pennies in the jar `)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, does anybody else know if i'll have to recalibrate the sensors after i switch them? and if i do is there any way to recal them at custom levels? like make my highway setting lower and my normal setting higher?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
320 Posts
DoubleRon2Deuces said:
thanks, does anybody else know if i'll have to recalibrate the sensors after i switch them? and if i do is there any way to recal them at custom levels? like make my highway setting lower and my normal setting higher?
1) According to the search box on this forum, the jury's still out on this one. I believe you'll be fine. Won't hurt to hazard the swap; you're not making permanent changes.

2) Yes you can! But within bounds; the EAS ecu has certain limits for each setting and won't accept too low / high values. It will revert to default values (and say so in the error code) which will have little meaning to the desired / designed ride heights.

And you can always swap the sensors back.

By the way I'd raise the car (go to extended height, then disable the EAS by a suitable jack stand) because everything will be a little bit easier to reach.

Or come on over, I've replaced / swapped a few sensors myself. Mind, it's a bit of drive. `) `) `)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi,

but, but, but ...... :shock: :shock: :shock: It's well known that sensors can be swapped, but .....
I've just dismantled a height sensor and is fully asymmetric.

Front sensor,

If swapped it would give inversed ressitance values, or not ?

I tested resitance values for the whole track, It goes from 600 to 1800 ohms.

If swapped it's suposed to use a new section of the track, but this new section gives different resistance values.

Why can sensors be swapped ?

photos are of babbling sensor, see marks where it used to faul.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, that does look completely different from mine.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
jesusg9 said:
If swapped it would give inversed ressitance values, or not ?

not sure exactly how the electronics work inside, but it looks like 2 different tracks, use one side for left, other side for right. the wiring is different L/R (I believe) so uses different input/output from the sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
yes they swap from side to side.

well i assume so as I bought some secondhand and they came in the post unmarked so I wouldn't have a clue what side they were on.

plugged em in, scrwed em down, and didn't even calibrate. Just cured my out of range fault.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks bro...gettin a lil confused there, alot of mixed answers . ...i just dont wanna switch them then get a hard fault saying i need to recal...stuck at my house with no equipment :naughty:

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
you might get a hard fault anyway simply by something not being plugged in correctly or a dud sensor, out of the 4 I bought second hand two were duds.

·
Registered
320 Posts
DoubleRon2Deuces said:
thanks bro...gettin a lil confused there, alot of mixed answers . ...i just dont wanna switch them then get a hard fault saying i need to recal...stuck at my house with no equipment :naughty:
If you don't fix it soon, you might get stuck far from home... :twisted:

Seriously, get the free eas software and cobble together a cable, it's not hard and an invaluable asset in your toolbox.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
DoubleRon2Deuces said:
needing a calibration will not cause a hard fault, just dancing. Look how tolerant the system is of a dodgy sensor right now. You can un-plug a sensor and drive around for days without getting a hard fault. Sensors typically only give soft faults, compressor& block issues give soft or hard faults, depending on the problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
HI,
After a few serching I'm almost sure that there are Swappbles and NOT swappables height sensors.

Ie: mine from a pre97 is not swappable

But bargepilot's, is swappable

I think this depends on sensors reference,

Colvern (sensor maker) reference CP17/417 , mine
Not swappble. And reference is printed on the back of sensor

Land rover references
STC3593AA is LEFT
STC3594aa is RIGHT
Not swappables and not printed

Land rover reference
ANR4687 rear
ANR4686 front
Are Swappbles and not printed

Does anyone know which is the Colvern (and printed) refenrence for swappable sensors ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
BargePilot said:
Well, that does look completely different from mine.

quick question :: how did you dismantle the sensor? I managed to get my RF one off the truck etc, but am struggling to open it at the risk of damaging it, any clues? Cheers

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry, slow answer. I pried off the back; it was glued / kitted on. I used a sharp knife (like X-acto, but more sturdy) to break the seal. There was a gasket underneath.

Putting the back back on was problematic. I resealed it with bathroom silicone kit. I hold no illusions about watertightness; should have used windscreen glue or something like that.

Needless to say I replaced the sensor in the end. Twice, but that's what you get with fleabay. Still came out cheaper than if I'd gone to the stealer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey Bargepilot,
What did you do to the sensor once it was open? Was there any moisture inside? and did you clean with contact cleaner and then reasemble?

From the Island 4x4 web page these are there sensors for sale going back to previous page from these OEM list there is a Dunlop sensor with different Part Number.
I've been told the newer sensors are built better with better sealing on shaft for water sealing problems with older units.

http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/-c-5_6_8.ht ... =2&sort=3a

·
Registered
320 Posts
Selby P38 said:
Hey Bargepilot,
What did you do to the sensor once it was open?
I exercised my freedom of speech (i.e. muttered profanities. 8) ) In the lower right of my picture you will observe there's no shiny material. The resistive track (carbon?) has completely eroded away there. There was no moisture inside the sensor but I did find powdery stuff. Some oxide?

I reckon the sealing is quite good. The problem with anything sealed applies here too; when moisture does get in it can't get out (or very slowly.) The damaged area was at the bottom of the sensor [when mounted], where any water would collect.

I 'repaired' the sensor with conductive silver paint (like you'd use to repair window heating elements) which I thought was devillishly genius but turned out to be a hare-brained idea - the paint didn't stick. :doh:

I don't know about better / less better sensors. Mine held out for 15 wet & salty winters; I guess I can't complain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts