Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had good luck swapping out the lettering on the hood and back? All of the top YouTube or searches where someone has done this don't look so great. Weird spacing or crooked letters. There's got to be some proper way the dealer or body shop does this if you get in an accidental or what not .

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
148 Posts
The problem with the templates, at least the foam ones I've been given with new letters, is that they're straight/flat so they can't be contoured well to the curved shape of the hood. I recently replaced the front and back letters on my l405, and polished everything after the letters were removed so I couldn't have any additional tape around where the old letters were as Bora20 suggested above.

Instead I just took some key measurements before hand, an expo/dry erase marker is nice to have here but not necessary.
1) distance from edge of hood to bottom of letters
2) distance between each letter
3) distance between right edge of "E" of "RANGE" and left edge of "R" of "ROVER"

I ran a piece of wide painter's tape across the front edge of the hood such that the edge of the tape was at 1) all the way across (follows the contour of the hood).

Then I measured and found the center of the front grille, and from there measured out to where the "E" of "RANGE" and "R" of "ROVER" should be...1/2 of what you measured for 3)

Then just start placing letters at the correct spacing along the edge of the painter's tape.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
743 Posts
I did this on the L405. I used the curved letters from Supertweaks. The kit came with a template that did not fit the RR (I suspect that this template is for the L494). I cut the letters and matched them to the lettering on the bonnet and the tailgate. I fixed the templates with painters tape and then used the tape to mark out the upper and lateral borders of the workspace.

I used a hair dryer to heat the letters and then a broad, flat plastic trim tool to remove the old lettering. I used a drill with an eraser to remove the remaining adhesive.

The whole process is really easy. It probably took an hour or so. I would make sure that you use the curved letters and confirm the accuracy of the template. Be careful removing the adhesive. I did dig into the paint on one of the 'R's'. Luckily it was covered by the replacement letter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You don't say which Range Rover you have but I'm assuming it's an L405?
Anyway, the link you have put up is for a P38.
Suggest you only buy lettering kit specified for L405 because of spacing etc.
PowerfulUK do sell them because I bought some for mine and no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had good luck swapping out the lettering on the hood and back? All of the top YouTube or searches where someone has done this don't look so great. Weird spacing or crooked letters. There's got to be some proper way the dealer or body shop does this if you get in an accidental or what not .
Hi,
I've replaced mine with new black lettering. They come in a kit with a fitting template and providing your careful they fit and come out right.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,524 Posts
Another vote for Powerful UK with the template...easy peasy install.

·
Registered
Current: 2016 Range Rover SC - Previous: 2013 Range Rover Sport SC
130 Posts
I replaced both front and rear with black on my L405. My method for exact placement was to run blue tape under the existing letter set prior to removal and mark on the tape with a Sharpie as to the location of each letter. This ensured that the new letters would match the OEM. I like the look of black on black.
Automotive parking light Cloud Automotive side marker light Sky Car

Reactions: PJPR01

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I replaced mine with a set from the dealer.. $250 or so but they came with the template.

I used a 3M rubber wheel to remove the old adhesive, polished with M105/M205, and reapplied. I used painters tape to basically mark out where the template should sit.

It's a PITA to polish between the letters, it's definitely a plus if you can do it "while you're in there"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts