Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm new here hope I can get some help. Any tips on swapping a newer style grille for an older one? I have the Haynes restoration manual where it shows how to fit a newer grille. Would I need to make any new holes or do anything with the headlights?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm considering this mod also. The headlite structure will need to upgraded to the '89 type (only year I'm familiar with). I have recently discovered that a PO has mangled the adjustment screws on the passenger side, with no rebuild kits available...even from Craddock. Is yours a 3 piece metal grill and not the 1 piece plastic? (I have the 3 piece metal grill.)

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I got a 3 piece off eBay. My range rover mechanic did a lot of ohhh ahhhh and chin rubbing when I showed him the old style grill and told him what I wanted to do. He thinks it would take about 4 hours labour. Also the rubber ring seals on my old style grille around the healights is a bit ropey, not sure what to do there? In the haynes book it seems quite simple to put the post 85/86 on,ie modernising. Maybe I will just take the existing grille off and have a play. If I can keep the headlights where they are then hooray! I wish someone did an all in one aftermarket old style grille. I wonder if there would be much demand for one?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not much demand for it here in the States. My rubber ring seals are shot too, not much luck finding those either...I haven't checked ebay lately, might be an option as long as the parts aren't cheap nock-offs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reviving this old thread. I think I may have designed what was asked here about making one that is one piece to minimize on the modifications for install of an aluminum vertical grille. I am so happy with the results. I have four RRC and I will be installing each with a different configuration. I made one for 7" Hella 500 and another with 5" ProComp 55 off road lights. Two others will be getting the Non inner lights grille. The only modification for grilles with inner off road lights require relocation of horns to the early RRCs. I will be using the lower lip that cover the gap from the grille to the bumper and bolting it to the retro vertical grille. Enjoy the pictures!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reviving this old thread. I think I may have designed what was asked here about making one that is one piece to minimize on the modifications for install of an aluminum vertical grille. I am so happy with the results. I have four RRC and I will be installing each with a different configuration. I made one for 7" Hella 500 and another with 5" ProComp 55 off road lights. Two others will be getting the Non inner lights grille. The only modification for grilles with inner off road lights require relocation of horns to the early RRCs. I will be using the lower lip that cover the gap from the grille to the bumper and bolting it to the retro vertical grille. Enjoy the pictures!!!
Correct me if I’m wrong but you have a website you’re selling these on now right?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,804 Posts
Here's how I went from a vertical to a horizontal grille on my RRC about 25 or more years ago. Maybe you can reverse the process. Sorry the pix are small - the page was written when internet speed was much, much lower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts