RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have what I assume must be the standard P38 swan-necked tow bar on my RR. I can remove the massive M20? bolt easily enough, but then like most things on the back end of this vehicle new to me it does not want to move. From what I can see in photos it was just the main bolt holding it in, with a notch at the forward end to keep it in the horizontal position. I'm somewhat tempted to remove the bolt and tie the RR tow hitch to my Defender and "remove" it that way. Anyone had any experience of removing one of these? I thought the design was meant to be easy to mount/ dismount, but now I'm not sure...

thanks, Rob

·
Super Moderator
2,061 Posts
Never tried taking one off but I suspect it will be well stuck. Had one car where it had never been fitted and was still in the boot and that was clean and shiny, not dirty and rusty like usual. I'd take a club hammer to it and try to knock it up and down and if that doesn't free it off, then attach it to something big and heavy. Be careful though, if you attach it to your Defender and pull, if it comes off with a jerk it could end up going through the Defender. Don't snatch it though, use Low ratio and just try to pull away normally, snatching it in Hi could invert the clutch in the gearbox.

Why do you want to take it off though? It's a useful parking aid that stops you from damaging the bumper......

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very true Richard... although its main use on mine was for making sure the rear bumper did not fall off, which is another thing I'm working on. I have whacked the tow bar pretty hard already and nothing - I guess it's not gonna move, and I may as well learn to live with it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts